SOUTH AFRICAN CARROT SALAD
This South African Recipe Serves 2-3
South African Carrot Salad is very common within the Indian community in South Africa. It is a simple salad with grated carrots & a few other ingredients & is served cold. This salad accompanies curries as well as biryanis.
This South African salad can be altered in many ways simply by adding or removing ingredients. Carrots, onions & green chillies are the main ingredients of this salad & should not be replaced or removed.
South African Carrot Salad Ingredients:
- 2 carrots
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- ½ cucumber (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ± 4 lettuce leaves (optional)
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Rinse & dice the tomato.
- Rinse & chop up the green chillies.
- Slice the cucumber to your preference.
- Chop up the lettuce leaves.
- Peel carrots, rinse & cut either ends off. Grate carrots into a bowl or container using a grater.
- Add the onions to the bowl of grated carrots.
- Thereafter, add the green chillies to the bowl.
- Next, add in the diced tomato & the sliced cucumber.
- Add in the chopped lettuce.
- You may add more ingredients to this salad, like bell peppers or coriander but this is the traditional way of preparing the South African Carrot Salad.
- Next, in goes the salt, sugar & white vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Serve this South African Carrot Salad with any desired dish.
- This South African Carrot Salad is a perfect side to biryanis (Mince Biryani, Chicken Biryani, Mutton Biryani, Vegetable Biryani). It also goes well with a variety of curries including Durban Mutton Curry, Durban Chicken Curry, Cornish Or Culls Chicken Curry & not forgetting the South African favourite, bunny chows.
Quick Tip: It is best to season this salad just before serving as it might get soggy if left seasoned for a long time. Refrigerate before seasoning (if prepared in advance) & after use.