DURBAN MUTTON CURRY
This Indian Recipe Serves 4-5
Durban Mutton curry is a gravy filled meat dish which is prepared in South Africa. Durban spices vary from other regions, therefore the taste & the name is very famous.
Mutton curry (likewise alluded to as kosha mangsho, or lamb curry) is an Indian curry dish that is set up from lamb/mutton and/or vegetables and began in Bengal. Railroad mutton curry is a variety of the dish that began amid the British Raj frontier time. Essential elements of mutton curry incorporate lamb, onion, tomato and flavors.
Mutton curry was initially arranged warmed by a fire in a substantial pot. It might now be cooked utilizing weight cookers and moderate cookers. Mutton curry may be presented with rice. The dish has been presented with raji, an oat.
Pronunciation: Ma – tin
Durban Mutton Curry Ingredients:
- 1kg mutton or lamb pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jam tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger & garlic paste
- 2 potatoes
- 1 star aniseed
- 2 bay leaves
- cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 teaspoons dhania powder
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 2 tablespoons Bombay Delite masala
- 1 ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablepoons Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 250ml sourmilk (maas) – optional
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ bunch fresh dhania (coriander)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Rinse & cut mutton or lamb pieces.
- Marinate the meat with 1 teaspoon garam masala, ½ teaspoon jeera powder, 1 teaspoon dhania powder, chilli powder, masala, thyme, little salt, fresh dhania & sourmilk (maas) – optional.
- Mix well & allow to marinade for as long as possible. Be sure to remove from the refrigerator an hour before cooking otherwise the meat will tend to be hard from the shock of the heat.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain & set aside.
- Dice onions & set aside.
- Chop tomatoes & set aside.
- Peel & rinse potatoes. Cut potatoes in quarters or halves & set aside in a bowl of water until ready to use.
- In a large pot, heat the oil.
- Add in the onions.
- Fry until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star aniseed & jeera seeds.
- Allow to braise for a minute.
- Add the ginger & garlic paste, turmeric powder, jeera powder, dhania powder, garam masala, chilli powder, curry leaves,curry powder & masala.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add a little water if necessary.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes. Mix well & add water if necessary.
- The tomatoes should form a thick gravy.
- When tomatoes are cooked, drop in the marinated mutton or lamb pieces.
- Mix well & allow to cook until meat is soft & tender.
- When the meat is cooked, add in the potatoes. Making sure to discard of the water that the potatoes had been resting in.
- Mix well & tuck potatoes into the gravy so that they cook faster.
- When the potatoes are soft to your desire, add salt to taste & mix well.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve this Durban Mutton Curry with carrot salad or pickles, rice, bread or rotis.