This Indian Recipe Serves 6-8
A Classic Indian vegetable biryani is a flawless dish for any event.
Biryani otherwise called biriyani or biriani, is a blended rice dish with its origins among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It is mainstream all through the subcontinent & among the diaspora from the area. It is made with flavors, rice, meat &/or vegetables.
It can be prepared using long grain basmati rice or parboiled rice.
South Africans usually prepare biryanis’ with parboiled rice.
“Biryani” is a Urdu word got from the Persian dialect, which was utilized as an official dialect as a part of various parts of medieval India, by different Islamic administrations.
Vegetable Biryani Ingredients:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 small jam tomatoes, blanched
- 2 teaspoons ginger & garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 potatoes
- 1 star aniseed
- cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 teaspoons dhania powder
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 2 tablespoons Bombay Delite masala
- 1 ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablepoons Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder + additional 1 teaspoon
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ cup biryani dhall (masoor)
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup frozen sweetcorn (optional)
- ¼ cabbage
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 250 grams green beans
- 1 sprig thyme
- yellow food coloring
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ½ cups rice
- fresh dhania (coriander), for garnishing
- Wash rice until water runs clear.
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder & boil until half cooked.
- Drain & set aside.
- Rinse the biryani dhall (masoor) & boil until half cooked.
- Drain & set aside.
- Cut onions.
- Slice cabbage fine, rinse & keep aside in a bowl.
- Cut the green beans, rinse & keep aside.
- Wash & peel carrots, then cut them in small pieces & set aside.
- Peel & rinse potatoes.
- Cut potatoes in quarters.
- Full the bowl with water & set aside.
- In another bowl, drop in the peas & sweetcorn & set aside.
- Blanch tomatoes. (Click here for blanching method).
- In a large pot, heat the oil.
- Add in the onions, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, star aniseed, curry leaves & jeera seeds.
- Fry until onions are translucent.
- Add the ginger & garlic paste, turmeric powder, jeera powder, dhania powder, garam masala, chilli powder, curry powder & masala.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the blanched tomatoes.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add water if necessary.
- Drop in the cabbage, carrots & green beans.
- Mix well & add water so that the vegetables cook well.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, go back to the potatoes.
- Drain the water out & microwave them on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 drops of yellow food coloring to the potatoes & give them a good mix so that the color coats them all.
- In a separate pot, add oil for deep frying.
- When oil is sizzling, carefully drop in potatoes & deep fry until golden & soft.
- When cooked, set aside.
- Keep stirring the vegetables & adding water so that they cook well.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add in the sweetcorn & peas.
- Mix well. then add in the biryani dhall.
- Add a few drops of yellow food coloring to the rice & mix well so that the color gets on most of the rice.
- Gently add in the rice to the vegetables slowly.
- Mix well as you drop the rice in.
- Cover & all to cook until the rice is soft.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Place the fried potatoes in the pot. Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve vegetable biryani with pea dhall, carrot salad, carrot sour milk salad or pickles.
- I served it with curried dhall & carrot salad.