NANDOS PERI PERI LIVERS
This South African Recipe Serves 2-4
Who else goes to Nandos & orders the livers? I know I do but sometimes we just want to stay home & still enjoy this dish. Nandos Peri Peri Livers is a spicy & gravy filled dish. It is enjoyed as a starter, main or as a side dish.
It may not suite everyone’s palate but if you try preparing it this way, I guarantee you will devour it.
Nandos Peri Peri Livers Ingredients:
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 100 ml water
- 125 grams Nandos Peri Peri sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken spice
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 250ml fresh cream
- fresh parsley or coriander for garnishing
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Bring out the chicken livers. I am using the Grainfield Frozen Livers – which are halal, be sure to defrost them before preparing this dish.
- Rinse the livers well & place into a bowl.
- To a pot on medium heat, add in the livers.
- Pour in the water.
- Spread them out in the water & allow to steam for 5 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, gently flip them over & allow them to continue steaming.
- Once steamed, most of the water should be evaporated.
- Use a spoon or a knife if preferred & break up the livers into smaller pieces.
- Drain out the excess water.
- To a pot on medium heat, add in the olive oil (or vegetable oil) & the chopped onions.
- Thereafter, add in the livers.
- Add in the butter or margarine.
- Mix well & allow to sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, it’s time to spice it up.
- Add salt, chicken spice, cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, chili powder, garlic powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix well & allow the livers to sauté in the spices for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, give it a quick stir.
- Now it’s time to add in the main ingredient which is the Nandos Peri Peri sauce – I’ve used the medium sauce but feel free to use whichever heat you prefer.
- Pour in the fresh cream.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Cover with a lid & allow it to simmer for 2 minutes so that it can thicken.
- After 2 minutes, give it a quick stir & turn off the heat.
- Empty into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or coriander.
- Serve hot with Portuguese rolls, garlic bread, pita bread or Nandos spicy rice.
- This Nandos Peri Peri Livers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- If you’re feeling nostalgic, make some Nandos Peri Peri Giblets as well.