NANDOS PERI PERI GIBLETS
This South African Recipe Serves 2-4
I used to always prefer these over the peri peri livers but sadly they have discontinued this meal & now we have to opt to preparing it at home.
Everyone has a different way of cooking when it comes to Giblets, so you may follow my methods below or simply cook it however you prefer until they are soft.
Nandos Peri Peri Giblets Ingredients:
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 250 grams Nandos Peri Peri sauce
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken spice
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 250ml fresh cream
- fresh parsley or coriander for garnishing
- Bring out the chicken giblets.
- Clean the giblets by removing any of the yellowish skin – this can easily be pulled off. Remove any excess fat that may be on them as well.
- Once cleaned, give them a rinse. At this point these giblets can also be cut into smaller pieces if preferred.
- Add the giblets to a pot on medium heat.
- Pour in the water.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, white vinegar & ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix well.
- Allow the giblets to boil for 45 minutes – adding more water if needed until it is tender. We do not want chewy giblets, they need to be soft hence why they boil for so long. Alternately, they can be added to a pressure cooker to speed up the time.
- Once the giblets are soft, remove them from the heat.
- Rinse the giblets & set aside in a bowl.
- Peel & finely chop the onion.
- To a pot on medium heat, add in the olive oil & the butter or margarine.
- Allow the butter to melt & then add in the onions.
- Mix & allow to sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add chicken spice, garlic powder, red chili flakes, cayenne pepper & chili powder.
- Mix well.
- Add in the soft giblets & the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Mix until the giblets are coated in the spices.
- Cover with a lid & allow the giblets to soak in the spices for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- After 5 minutes, these giblets should have a beautiful coating. Give it a quick stir.
- Now it’s time to add in the main ingredient which is the Nandos Peri Peri sauce – I’ve used the medium sauce.
- Pour in the fresh cream.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Cover with a lid & allow it to simmer for 2 minutes so that it can thicken.
- After 2 minutes, give it a quick stir & turn off the heat.
- Empty into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or coriander.
- Serve hot with Portuguese rolls, garlic bread, pita bread or Nandos spicy rice.
- This Nandos Peri Peri Giblets can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.