This Recipe Serves 3-4
Butter chicken also known as murgh makhani (Hindi: मुर्ग़ मक्खनी) is an Indian dish of chicken in a gently spiced curry sauce. It is served in India & abroad. The dish has its foundations in Punjabi food & was produced by the Moti Mahal eatery in Delhi, India.
This creamy meal is best enjoyed with plain or garlic naan.
Butter Chicken Ingredients:
- ± 6-7 chicken breast fillets (1 whole chicken can be used & cut into pieces, preferably deboned).
- Salt to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 4 cloves
- 2 whole elachi
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt – (I used plain yoghurt)
- ½ cup tomato puree – (a store bought or homemade puree will do).
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200 grams butter
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 70 grams tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 4 red dry chillies or 2 teaspoons red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder (coriander powder)
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ cup fresh dhania (coriander), chopped
- Wash & cut chicken into pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large dish/bowl.
- Marinate the chicken with salt, ground black pepper, chilli powder, dhania powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala, jeera powder, turmeric powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Break the dry chillies in halves & empty the seeds into the marinade. Discard of the chilli peels. You may use red chili flakes instead.
- Drop in the sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt & the thyme.
- Mix well.
- Leave in the refrigerator to marinate over night, or if you’re in a hurry, marinate for up to 3-6 hours.
- Heat the butter in a pot.
- Add in the onions, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, curry leaves, cloves & elachi.
- Fry until onions have softened & turns golden brown.
- Add in the tomato puree & cook until thickened.
- Add the marinated chicken.
- Mix well & allow the chicken to cook until tender.
- When the chicken has cooked, add in the fresh cream.
- Mix well & allow to cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the garam masala & lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve with plain naan, garlic naan or roti.
- Drizzle fresh cream over the top for presentation.
- Quick Tip: If there are any leftovers then you can use the naan as a pizza base & spread a layer of butter chicken over, followed by cheese & a little dried mixed herbs. Microwave or place in the oven until the cheese is melted. Slice & serve.