This Indian Recipe Serves 4-5
Egg Chutney is a popular Indian dish in South Africa. It is simply a dish which consists of pouched eggs in a tomato sauce (chutney).
This dish use to often be made by my mum or gran as a brunch meal on weekends. Trust me, having this meal in the morning is better than any other breakfast or brunch. Egg Chutney as with the famous sausage chutney is also good for those hangovers…it’s sure to give you that kick start for the day.
Egg Chutney is the South African term for this meal although in Northern Africa & the Middle East, this dish is known to be called Shakshouka or Shakshuka.
Egg Chutney Ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dhania powder (coriander powder)
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, slivered
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 5-6 jam/rosa tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 sprig thyme (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3-5 green chilies
- 5-7 eggs
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing (optional)
- Peel & sliver onions & set aside.
- Rinse & cut green chilies down the middle.
- Grate or blend tomatoes & place into a bowl.To grate tomatoes, simply slice tomatoes in halves & grate only the flesh of the tomatoes. Discard of the peel. If you are blending them, cut off the ends & blitz with the peel.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot & add in the onions, curry leaves, thyme & green chilies.
- Mix & allow to simmer until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the chili powder, dhania (coriander) powder, turmeric powder & the ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix well.
- Add in the grated or blended tomatoes.
- Mix & allow the tomatoes to cook for around 10 minutes or until thickened & the oil surfaces.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, add salt to taste & the sugar.
- Mix well.
- Lower the heat & crack in the eggs. Add them side by side so that they will cook evenly rather than one over another.
- Try not to allow the yolks to bust, but if it does, it’s not a problem. Cover with a lid so that the eggs can cook faster with the steam.
- When the eggs are cooked, turn off the heat.
- Carefully flip the eggs so that in can be covered in the tomato chutney.
- Garnish with dhania (coriander).
- This meal goes best with bread, roti or phutu.