This South African Food Recipe Makes 2 Milk Tarts & Serves 13-16
Milk Tart also known as Melk Tert is the Afrikaners local cuisine. Milk Tart is a South African dessert. Traditionally, it is a sweet pastry crust filled with creamy deliciousness & topped with sweet, powdered cinnamon.
Milk Tart Ingredients:
- 5 ounces butter at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 ¼ cups of all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 200° Celsius.
Method for Crust:
- In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar.
- Add in the eggs, all purpose flour, salt & baking powder.
- Mix well till all ingredients are thoroughly combined. It will begin to take the form of dough.
- Using only ½ of the dough, press onto a well greased pie plate.
- Repeat with the other ½ of the dough in another greased pie plate.
- Prick the dough all over using a fork & allow to bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Once fully baked, remove & allow for the crust to cool.
Method for Filling:
- In a saucepan, boil the milk & butter.
- Once boiled, add remaining filling ingredients, mix well whilst allowing it to simmer over low heat.
- Once combined, remove from heat & whisk well until the mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture into baked shells.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar & cinnamon.
- Allow to cool & then place the milk tarts into the refrigerator.
- Once cool enough, slice & serve.