BRAISED PUDINA CHUTNEY
This Recipe Makes 600ml Chutney
Pudina Chutney is a delicious Peanut Mint Chutney – I call it Braised Pudina Chutney because in our family, we take it one step further & cook it with onions & mustard seeds.
Braised Pudina Chutney Ingredients:
- 300 grams unsalted peanuts
- 80 grams mint leaves
- 20 grams coriander leaves
- 8 green chilies
- water as needed + ½ cup water for tamarind
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ onion
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Place the raw unsalted peanuts onto a baking tray.
- Roast in the oven at 180° Celsius for 15-20 minutes, tossing every few minutes until they are golden.
- Empty the roasted peanuts into a bowl to cool.
- To a bowl, add in the tamarind paste.
- Pour in ½ cup water.
- Press the tamarind paste between your fingers to dilute it in the water. The water should be brown in colour.
- Strain the tamarind water so there’s no pulp.
- Rinse & remove the stems from the mint (pudina).
- Rinse the coriander (dhania) leaves.
- Remove the stems & rinse the green chilies.
- Add the roasted peanuts to a blender or food processer. I’m using a blender & it’s small so I blended the nuts first – I would recommend using a food processor for this as you can put in all the ingredients (peanuts, mint, coriander, chilies & tamarind water) at once.
- If using a blender, add in the other ingredients to the nuts – peanuts, mint, coriander, chilies & tamarind water.
- Blend together & add water if the mixture is too dry or too thick. To save time & prevent your blender from over heating I suggest opting for the food processor because the blender for me got over filled & did not want to blend properly.
- This is the consistency you want. This pudina chutney can be eaten as is but if you want to braise it like I have then continue to the next steps.
- Finely chop the onion.
- To a pot on medium heat, add in the vegetable oil, onions & mustard seeds.
- Mix & sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the blended chutney to the pot & salt to taste.
- Mix together & add in the peanut butter.
- Mix once more.
- Empty into a bowl & serve.
- I enjoy it sandwiched in buttered bread.