SPUR STYLE CREAMED SPINACH
This Recipe Serves 2-3
Spur Style Creamed Spinach is part of the South African restaurant “Spur” & is served as a side dish as part of their hot veg on the menu.
This creamy spinach is super easy to prepare & if you’re a lover of the veggies at Spur then this recipe is ideal for you.
Spur Steak Ranches is a steakhouse establishment eatery network which began from South Africa. Their menu for comprises of beef burgers, steaks & ribs, additionally incorporates plates of mixed greens, chicken, fish & vegan choices.
Spur Style Creamed Spinach Ingredients:
- 300 grams spinach or Swiss chard
- Salt to taste
For the Béchamel sauce (White sauce):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk or fresh cream
- Rinse the spinach or Swiss chard thoroughly & place onto a chopping board.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully chop the spinach into small pieces.
- Once chopped, place the spinach into a large pot.
- On medium heat, begin cooking the spinach. Cover with a lid & stir occasionally for about 5-8 minutes. Do not add any liquids to the spinach as the spinach has a lot of excess water.
- Notice after a few minutes how the spinach wilts down.
- After 8 minutes of cooking the spinach. Turn off the heat & set the spinach aside. The excess water from the spinach would have dried up during the cooking process.
- Next, let’s get started with the creamy part of the spinach.
- To a separate pot or saucepan, add in the butter.
- Allow the butter to melt on medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour.
- Stir in the flour continuously so that it doesn’t burn.
- Now begin adding a little milk or fresh cream at a time & stir as you go along.
- It should form into a sauce.
- Thereafter, add the cooked spinach to the sauce.
- Mix well.
- Add salt to taste & stir.
- Spur Style Creamed Spinach is all done!
- Plate & serve whilst hot.
- If you’re in the mood to go all out with the Spur vibes then I highly recommend adding on the prep of the Spur Style Butternut Mash &/or Spur Style Onion Rings.
- Stores for a few days in the refrigerator, can be reheated in the microwave.
- These veggies pairs really well with steak & fries.