SPUR STYLE BUTTERNUT MASH
This Recipe Serves 2-3
Spur Style Butternut Mash is part of the South African restaurant “Spur” & is served as a side dish.
This creamy butternut is so divine, it pairs well with any meal. This dish will have you wanting more, even if you’re not a veggie lover.
Spur Steak Ranches is a steakhouse establishment eatery network which began from South Africa. Its menu for the most part components beefburgers, steaks & ribs, additionally incorporates plates of mixed greens, chicken, fish & vegan choices.
Spur Style Butternut Mash Ingredients:
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons Béchamel sauce (white sauce)
- Place the large butternut squash on a cutting board.
- Carefully skin the butternut squash & cut it in half.
- Thereafter, cut it into quarters & remove any seeds &/or stringy flesh that is inside.
- Next, cut the butternut into cubes.
- Place the cubed butternut into a medium/large pot & fill with water.
- Add in the cinnamon stick & 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir & bring to a boil,
- Boil until the butternut is soft. A fork should go through the cubes.
- Place the cooked butternut into a strainer to remove excess water. Discard of the cinnamon stick.
- Once the excess water is removed, empty the butternut into a medium/large mixing bowl.
- Next, use either a fork or a masher & mash up the butternut.
- Thereafter, add in the butter & roughly mash again.
- Next add in the ½ teaspoon of salt & the sugar.
- Finally, add in the Béchamel sauce (white sauce).
- Mix well – no need to mash at this point.
- Plate & serve. Best served hot,
- Spur Style Butternut Mash goes well with any meal but usually served with other sides such as Spur Style Creamed Spinach &/or Spur Style Onion Rings.
- Stores for a few days in the refrigerator, Can be reheated in the microwave.