CHICKEN SPICY RICE
This Indian Recipe Serves 4
Anybody that has ever tasted chicken spicy rice will know how amazingly delicious it is. This recipe has cubed chicken which makes it easier to enjoy.
Chicken Spicy Rice is basically rice that is cooked with spices that add a distinct flavour.
Chicken Spicy Rice Ingredients:
- 1 cup white rice (basmati or parboiled can be used) – I used parboiled rice
- salt to taste
- ½ of each coloured bell peppers (red, green, yellow)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 4 skinless chicken breast pieces
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder
- ½ bottle of Nandos peri peri sauce of your choice – I used Nandos Extra Hot flavour.
- ¼ bottle Minnies chicken tikka sauce (if using an entire bottle of Nandos sauce, this can be excluded)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ bottle Maggi Chilli sauce (if using an entire bottle of Nandos sauce, this can be excluded)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 teaspoons chicken spice
- Add rice to a pot.
- Rinse rice for about 5 times until water runs clear.
- Fill the pot with water & bring the rice to a boil on medium heat.
- Add the turmeric powder to the rice. This will give the rice the yellow colour. Also add salt.
- When rice is fully cooked, strain in a colander & set aside.
- Rinse the chicken breasts.
- Cut the breast pieces into cubes.
- Place the cubes chicken into a bowl & marinade with the Nandos sauce & all the spices. (If using the other sauces mentioned, then marinade with those as well).
- Mix well & refrigerate for an hour or more.
- In a large pot, add the butter. Leave on medium heat.
- When butter begins to melt, spread it on the entire surface of the pot & add in the marinated chicken.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, adding a little water if necessary. Do not let the sauces burn & dry out.
- Blanch the tomatoes in the microwave & add to the pot.
- Mix well & allow the tomatoes to cook. Again, be sure not to let the sauces burn or dry out.
- When the tomatoes have cooked, add in the bell peppers.
- Mix well & cook for a further 5-8 minutes.
- Add more sauce if necessary.
- Add salt to taste.
- Drop in 1 spoon of the cooked rice at a time to the pot of chicken.
- Mix as you add a spoon of rice at a time, coating all the rice grains.
- Serve in a separate bowl, if you’re looking to present it well.
- Garnish with edible leaves.
- Goes well with Chicken Livers.