This Recipe Serves 1-2
Chicken strips, otherwise called chicken fingers, chicken goujons, chicken tenders or chicken fillets, are chicken meat arranged from the pectoralis minor muscles of the animal. These pieces of white meat are situated on either side of the breastbone, under the breast meat (pectoralis major). They may likewise be made with correspondingly molded pieces cut from chicken meat, usually the breast.
I have used chicken breasts pieces to prepare these crispy chicken strips. These can be served as a starter or as a main meal.
Chicken Strips Ingredients:
- 3-4 skinless chicken breasts pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder or paprika (I used the Kashmiri chilli powder)
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pinch of Knorr peri peri aromat (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chicken spice
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 large eggs
- cooking oil for deep frying
- Rinse chicken breast pieces.
- Cut them in the middle, then into long strips & thereafter in halves as you don’t want the strips to be too long.
- Set the strips aside.
- In a small bowl/dish, add in the flour, kashmiri chilli powder or paprika, dried mixed herbs, salt, aromat (optional) & chicken spice.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a separate small bowl/dish, crack the two eggs into it.
- Thereafter, utilizing a fork, beat the eggs thoroughly.
- Heat the cooking oil on high heat in a deep medium sized or large pot. It should be about halfway full as the oil will be used for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot enough, lower the heat to medium.
- Take one chicken strip at a time & place into the flour mix. Coat it well with the flour.
- Thereafter, place the floured strip into the egg mix. Coat well with the egg mix.
- Once again, place the coated strip into the flour mix & shake off any excess flour coating.
- Now, gently place the well coated strip into the heated oil.
- Continue doing the above process to the rest of the strips & placing them into the oil until the pot is full. Do not overcrowd the pot as the batter will expand when frying.
- Fry until golden & crisp.
- Do not over fry the chicken strips as it will turn out to be hard & inedible. (When strips turn golden, break on of the strips to check if the chicken is cooked, it should be soft & tender).
- When the strips have cooked throughout, remove & place onto a paper towel. This will drain out any excess oil.
- Serve hot with a dipping sauce of your choice (preferably a spicy sauce).
- I served these strips with a light salad as well.
Tip: Breadcrumbs may also be used to coat the chicken strips. Instead of dipping the chicken into the flour mix, egg wash & then flour mix again, the chicken can be dipped into flour mix, egg wash & then into breadcrumbs.