2 INGREDIENT BAGELS
This Recipe Makes 8 Bagels
Bagels are something we South Africans watched on American television shows…it isn’t very popular in our country but it makes for such a quick & delicious breakfast, brunch or even a snack! These 2 Ingredient Bagels are ready in no time & can be enjoyed with any fillings of your choice.
Usually, bagels are prepared with yeast as with any other fluffy breads but this simple 2 ingredient recipe does not use yeast & trust me they are just as delicious. Another addition to preparing bagels the old-fashioned way is to boil the dough in water before baking – this to me seems time consuming & you’ve guessed it – this recipe doesn’t call for that either!
2 Ingredient Bagels Ingredients:
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups plain yoghurt
- milk for brushing (optional)
- bagel seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Bring out a baking pan & line it with baking or parchment paper.
- To a mixing bowl, add in the self raising flour.
- If you do not have self raising flour, simply use 2 cups of cake flour or all purpose flour & 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Add in the yoghurt.
- Use a spoon & combine the flour & yoghurt.
- Thereafter, go in with clean hands & bring the dough together. The dough should be a bit tacky.
- Dust some flour onto a working surface. (self raising, cake flour or all purpose flour can be used for this).
- Place the dough onto the working surface & dust more flour over.
- Knead for about 3 minutes until the dough isn’t as sticky. Add more flour if needed.
- Using a knife or a scraper, divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Working with one portion at a time, dust flour onto a surface & coat the piece of dough in the flour.
- Thereafter roll the dough in the palm of your hands until it forms into a ball.
- Next, use your finger to poke a hole in the middle of the dough.
- Carefully stretch the dough from the middle to widen it.
- Place the shapes onto the prepared baking tray.
- At this point they can be baked as is.
- I’ve opted to brushing them with some milk.
- I have also topped each of them with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven.
- These 2 Ingredient Bagels are ready to be served.
- They are best eaten while hot & crisp but they are also good as they cool down. These can be reheated in the microwave, oven or the air fryer.
- When you slice them open, you will see how fluffy & soft these bagels are.
- Add whatever filling you prefer. It is most often eaten with a slather of cream cheese but I turned them into chicken & mayonnaise bagels.
- These bagels can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.