VODKA MINCE PASTA
This Recipe Serves 4
This Vodka Mince Pasta also known as Penne alla Vodka is a quick & easy pasta dish with the key ingredient obviously being Vodka.
Vodka in meals are perfect weekend or festive season meals that the whole family will enjoy – minus the kids of course! This recipe uses penne pasta which is en-robed with a rich tomato & cream based sauce, the vodka brings out all of the other flavors quite well.
Despite using penne pasta for this dish, you may use whatever pasta suites your preference.
Vodka Mince Pasta Ingredients:
- 500 grams mince (ground beef/lamb)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 can tomato puree (410 grams)
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 350 grams penne pasta
- 1 ½ cups First Choice cream
- ½ cup Skyy Vodka
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Dried or fresh parsley for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- Water as needed to boil pasta
- Make sure the mince (ground beef/lamb) is defrosted.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- I’m using tomato puree for this recipe as it saves up on time & creates a thick sauce. You may however remove the skins off tomatoes & blend them, thereafter cook the tomatoes until the water has reduced & it becomes thick (this takes up to 30 minutes) hence why I have chosen the quick route.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pot. Then add in the onions & thyme.
- Mix & allow to simmer until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the coriander (dhania) powder, cumin (jeera) powder, chili powder, red chili flakes & ginger & garlic paste.
- Then add in the dried oregano & sweet basil.
- Mix well.
- Add in the mince (ground beef/lamb).
- Mix well & allow the mince to brown.
- Once the mince has browned, add salt to taste.
- Thereafter, add in the tomato puree.
- Mix well.
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the sugar.
- Pour in the Vodka. I have used Skyy Vodka for this recipe, but any other brand that you prefer may be substituted.
- Thereafter, pour in the First Choice cream.
- Mix well. Turn off the heat & set aside.
- Fill a deep pot with water & bring it to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Once the water reaches a boil, add in 1 tablespoon cooking oil & salt to taste.
- Stir it & then add in the penne pasta.
- Boil penne until al dente.
- Empty out into a colander to remove the excess water.
- Add the drained penne to the pot of mince.
- Mix well.
- Plate & garnish with dried or fresh parsley.
- Stores in the refrigerator for a few days.