CREAMY POTATO BAKE
This Recipe Makes 1 Medium Sized Casserole
Creamy Potato Bake also known as Scalloped Potatoes or Potato Gratin is a potato based dish with cream & other ingredients, baked until gooey.
This was always a must have as a side dish on our table whenever we had roasts or braais. It is quick & easy to prepare & can even be eaten on it’s own.
Creamy Potato Bake Ingredients:
- 4 large potatoes
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ onion, slivered (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups grated cheese
- thyme – without the stems for garnishing (optional)
- 500 ml First Choice Cream
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Get out the potatoes.
- Peel & rinse potatoes.
- Slice potatoes vertically about an inch thick.
- Add sliced potatoes to a microwave safe bowl.
- To the bowl, add salt & ground black pepper to taste, as well as the garlic powder.
- Using your hands, mix well – rubbing the seasoning well into the potato slices.
- Place the bowl into the microwave & microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, carefully remove the bowl from the microwave. The potatoes should be semi-soft.
- Peel & slice the onion.
- Have the fresh thyme ready without the stems, this step is optional.
- Grate the cheese & set aside. I have used Gouda for this recipe.
- Grease a medium sized casserole with spraying oil.
- Add half the potato slices at the bottom of the greased casserole, making sure to cover the surface.
- Add the sliced onions over the potatoes. You may add any other ingredients you prefer such as ham, bacon, macon, etc.
- Cover with 1 cup grated cheese.
- Pour 250 ml cream over. You may also make a white sauce if preferred & then pour it over, I just prefer my Creamy Potato Bake this way.
- Lay the remaining slices of potatoes over.
- Cover with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheese & the 250 ml cream.
- Sprinkle the thyme over (optional).
- Bake for 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft & the cheese is golden..
- Garnish with more thyme if preferred.
- If you use a transparent casserole, you will be able to see the layers.
- Slice & serve.