This Indian Recipe Makes 4 Fish
Battered Fish is so yum, with just a few ingredients, it’s going to taste like it’s straight out of a seafood restaurant.
Most find beer battered fish a hit – which I definitely must agree on but most cannot consume alcohol & it isn’t easily available in most countries. I find soda water to work just as well & the taste is so good. If you haven’t tried it with soda water as yet, please do because it makes the batter crisp & will have you wanting more.
I have used hake for this recipe as I find it isn’t as bony as other fish.
Battered Fish Ingredients:
- 4 hake or fish of your choice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 cup cold soda water
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fish seasoning
- Fresh or dried parsley for garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges for dressing
- Have your fish out. I used hake.
- To a wide bowl, add in the all purpose flour.
- Add in the salt & black pepper.
- Next, add in the garlic powder & the fish seasoning.
- Pour in the soda water.
- Mix well until it forms a batter.
- The batter should be thick & not runny.
- Add in the ice cubes. This will allow the batter to stay cool.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot/pan for deep frying on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, dip the fish into the batter.
- Make sure that the fish is well coated in the batter.
- Carefully place the battered fish into the hot oil & allow it to fry for a few minutes until it begins to float.
- Thereafter, flip the fish over to allow the other side to fry until golden.
- Once the fish are golden, remove & allow to drain on paper towels.
- Thereafter sprinkle over some parsley & add lemon wedges.
- These Battered Fish can be served with freshly fried chips & tartar sauce or mayonnaise.
- Best served whilst hot.