This Recipe Makes ± 16 Pieces
This Flour Tortilla recipe is simple & easy. It has a unique taste & is great with any meal.
Originating from the corn tortilla, a bread of maize which originates before the entry of Europeans to America, the whole wheat flour tortilla was an advancement by banished Spanish Jews who did not consider corn/maize meal to be kosher, utilizing wheat brought from Europe, while this locale was the settlement of New Spain.
Tortillas remain a staple sustenance in Mexico & Central America, & have picked up notoriety & piece of the overall industry somewhere else. In the U.S., tortillas have developed from an “ethnic” to a standard sustenance.
Flour tortillas are generally prepared with meat, potatoes, cheese & other different ingredients to make dishes, for example, tacos, chicken quesadillas & burritos.
Flour Tortilla Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups warm milk
- Add the all purpose/cake flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt & baking powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Add in the olive oil. If olive oil isn’t available, vegetable oil may be substituted.
- Heat the milk for 30 seconds in the microwave & pour into the mixture.
- Using a spoon, mix until most of the milk is absorbed into the flour.
- Thereafter, using clean hands, mix & combine to form a tacky dough.
- Lightly flour a surface & place the dough over. Knead the dough with your hands for 5 minutes until smooth & pliable.
- The dough should be soft.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, making sure to lather the dough in the excess oil from the bowl.
- Cover with a dish towel & allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Once rested, remove the dough from the bowl.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
- Separate & roll those portions into balls.
- Divide each of those dough balls into 2’s & you should have 16 dough balls altogether.
- Working with one ball at a time. Lightly flour the surface & place the ball over.
- Slightly flatten with your palm, rub a little flour onto a rolling pin & roll out into a disc.
- Continue this process until all the dough is in the form of discs.
- Heat a skillet, pan or tava on medium-high heat. Once hot, place one tortilla at a time.
- It will begin to form air bubbles – careful, if it pops, steam will escape & could burn you.
- Once the whole tortilla is covered with bubbles, flip it over & toast the other side for about 40 seconds or so.
- Once the other side is toasted, remove it from the heat.
- Place tortillas into a wax/parchment paper lined container.
- Make sure to cover the container with a dish towel after every tortllla is toasted. This traps in the moisture & allows the tortillas to stay soft.
- Serve immediately or cover with a lid until ready to heat & serve.
- They are super soft just as long as you remember to cover them after toasting. This is the secret to keeping all flat breads soft.
- These delicious flour tortilla’s can be used to prepare wraps, fajitas, chicken quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas & more.