GROUND BEEF TORTA
This Recipe Makes 4 Torta’s
A torta is a type of sandwich, served on a white sandwich roll, in Mexico. Depending on the region, this is called a bolillo, telera, birote, or pan francés. Ground Beef Torta is one of the variations of torta’s.
Tortas can be eaten hot, cold, grilled or toasted in a press.
Ground Beef Torta Ingredients:
- 500 grams ground beef (mince)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 x ¼ bell peppers (¼ yellow, ¼ green, ¼ red)
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 4 bread rolls
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne or chilli powder
- handful of fresh coriander (dhania)
- butter or margarine for spreading
- Mayonnaise or sauce of your choice for spreading
- chilli flakes (optional)
- sour cream
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- Firstly, rinse the ¼ bell peppers.
- Sliver the bell peppers & set aside.
- Chop the onion.
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium sized pot on medium to high heat. When the oil is hot, drop in the onions.
- Add the thyme to the onion, preferably without the stems.
- Mix & sauté until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the ginger & garlic paste, cumin (jeera) powder, coriander (dhania) powder & the cayenne or chilli powder.
- Mix & add water if necessary & allow spices to cook for a minute.
- Next, add in the ground beef (mince).
- Stir in the ground beef & cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, drop in the fresh coriander (dhania).
- Stir in the coriander (dhania).
- Thereafter, add in the slivered bell peppers.
- Mix & cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the grated cheese.
- Mix well.
- When the cheese has melted, add salt to taste & set aside.
- Next, slice rolls & butter them.
- Place the buttered side down onto a hot pan or tawa & toast.
- Remove & set aside.
- Tear the rolls down the middle & spread a little mayonnaise or sauce of your choice.
- Roughly chop some lettuce.
- Place the lettuce over the mayonnaise or sauce that you have used.
- Thereafter, spoon over the cooked ground beef (mince).
- Top with guacamole.
- Spoon over dollops of sour cream.
- Sprinkle over some chilli flakes.
- Place the other roll over & enjoy your homemade Ground Beef Torta.
- These Ground Beef Torta can also be served with a side of guacamole.