CHICKEN & MUSHROOM PIE
This Recipe Makes 1 Large Pie
Chicken & Mushroom Pie is the simplest of all pies. It includes chicken & mushrooms of course which is enrobed in a creamy white sauce, covered in puff pastry & baked until golden.
As a kid, Chicken & Mushroom Pie was by far my favourite, it always seemed to just hit the spot. South Africa definitely has thee best variation of these pies but I add a few more ingredients in my recipe to make it a little more boujee.
These pies can be made in ramekins or in pie foils to make individual serving portion or you can opt to making a large one as I have. Another roll of puff pastry or shortcrust pastry can be used as the base of the pie as I used just one roll to cover the top.
Chicken & Mushroom Pie Ingredients:
- 400 grams puff pastry (1 roll)
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- poppy seeds for topping (optional)
For the chicken & mushroom filling:
- 4 chicken fillets
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
For the Béchamel sauce (White Sauce):
- 100 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk or fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the chicken fillets.
- Cut the chicken into cubes & place in a bowl.
- Season the chicken with salt to taste & ground black pepper.
- Add in the oregano & sweet basil.
- Add in the garlic powder & ginger powder. I prefer using the powder for this dish instead of the fresh paste or crushed alternative.
- Use your fingertips & rub the spices into the chicken.
- Peel & slice the mushrooms. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a medium sized pot/pan. When oil is hot enough drop in the seasoned chicken.
- Stir every now & again.
- Cover with a lid & allow the chicken to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, notice the excess water from the chicken, do not drain it as this is a stock that will give it added flavour.
- Give it a stir & add in the sliced mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Cover with a lid & allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, give it a stir & turn off the heat.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Next begin preparing the Béchamel sauce (White Sauce).
- To another pot, add in the butter & allow to melt on medium heat
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour.
- Stir in the flour continuously so that it doesn’t burn.
- Once all the flour has diminished, gradually pour in the milk or cream. I prefer using milk over cream as I find the cream tends to curdle much faster, ruining the sauce.
- Mix well until it thickens.
- It should form a creamy sauce.
- Add in freshly grated nutmeg & salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Turn off the heat when the sauce is of the right consistency. If it is too thick, add in more milk or cream. Add in the Parmesan cheese. This is optional but adding it sure does make a whole lot of difference in taste.
- Mix well.
- Pour the sauce into the pot of cooked chicken & mushroom.
- Stir in the sauce.
- Pour the Chicken & Mushroom filling into a pie casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius.
- Crack an egg into a bowl.
- Beat well using a fork or a whisk & set aside.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a working surface & open out the puff pastry.
- Roll the puff pastry with a rolling pin just enough so that it can cover the casserole. If it’s a perfect fit for your casserole then there is no need to roll it out. Next, I placed a pot lid over the pastry that is just a little bigger than the circumference of my casserole.
- Use a knife & cut around the lid.
- Place the cut out pastry over the casserole.
- Trim off the excess pastry.
- I used my fingers to tuck & crease the ends of the pastry to create a more rustic look. Thereafter brush the beaten egg over.
- It can be left as is & baked or you may decorate it if you want to make it a bit more fancy.
- I had leftover puff pastry, so I used a cookie cutter & created shapes. I then placed these shapes over & brushed some egg wash over.
- Thereafter, sprinkle some sesame seeds & poppy seeds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- The Chicken & Mushroom Pie should be golden brown.
- Serve whilst hot.