This Recipe Makes ± 26 Biscuits (2 Dozens)
Date Rolls are the must haves in any Indian household, especially during festive seasons. Do not worry, they are not bread rolls, they just get their name because of their shape. Date Rolls are pitted whole or chopped dates, enclosed in a biscuit (cookie) dough & then baked to perfection.
This recipe is egg free but it has a melt in your mouth texture.
Date Rolls Ingredients:
- 250 grams butter / margarine, room temperature
- ± 26 Whole Pitted Dates (I got them from Food Lover’s Market)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup corn flour (maziena)
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- For this recipe, I got my Whole Pitted Dates from Food Lover’s Market.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is at room temperature
- Add ½ cup of desiccated coconut to a bowl & set aside.
- Sift the all-purpose flour.
- Add the butter / margarine to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the castor sugar.
- Cream the butter / margarine & the castor sugar until smooth. This can be done by hand using a wooden spoon or with an electric mixer.
- Pour in the vanilla essence.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Thereafter, add in the sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder & a pinch of salt.
- Then add in the corn flour (maziena).
- Finally, add in the remaining ½ cup of desiccated coconut.
- Roughly mix using a wooden spoon. The mixture should be crumbly.
- Next, use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Pinch off a small portion of the dough.
- Roll into a ball & then flatten with your palm.
- Take a Whole Pitted Date & place it on the flattened dough.
- Thereafter, fold the dough over the date & use your palms to roll the dough over the date to enclose it. Neaten the ends & remove any excess dough if required.
- Toss into the bowl of desiccated coconut, making sure to coat it well.
- Once done, place them onto a parchment/wax paper lined baking tray, keeping some space between each of them as they will rise during baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, carefully remove from the oven.
- The Date Rolls will be very soft so allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the hot tray before handling them.
- After 5 minutes, carefully remove them from the baking tray & transfer them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Plate & serve.
- Store these Date Rolls in an airtight container for up to a month.
- If you break these Date Rolls in half, you will see how the dates look like a filling, tucked in the center of the biscuit (cookie).
- I also got these edible flowers from Food Lover’s Market, which you will be able to find in the refrigerator section.
- If you enjoyed these Date Rolls, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).