This Recipe Makes ± 16 Squares
Crunchies are the ultimate quick snack. It is a granola-cookie like treat that is baked in the oven until golden.
These crunchies are super yummy & is loved by all. They take very little time to prepare & their perfect for snacking on, on those cold nights. It may be served with or without chocolate but I personally love the addition of chocolate – it makes it extra delicious & the kids will definitely love them.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 200 grams butter / margarine, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey or golden syrup – I used honey
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 80 grams milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is at room temperature.
- Get out a 27 centimetre square oven-safe casserole or baking tray. I have used the Guzzini casserole.
- Line the casserole/baking tray with parchment or wax paper.
- Grease with spraying oil & set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add in the all-purpose flour.
- Thereafter, add in the desiccated coconut.
- Add in the oats.
- Add in the salt & cinnamon powder.
- Mix well & set aside.
- Place a pot or saucepan on the stove-top on medium heat & add in the butter / margarine.
- Add in white & brown sugar.
- Pour in the vanilla essence.
- Drop in the honey or golden syrup.
- Mix well.
- Continue mixing on medium heat until the sugars have dissolved. If left unattended to, the sugars can caramelize & burn so keep stirring. It should transform into a golden colour.
- Next, remove the pot/saucepan from the heat.
- Quickly add in the bicarbonate of soda (baking soda).
- Mix well.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients (flour, oats, coconut).
- Mix until everything is well incorporated. It should form a thick, clumpy mixture.
- Place the mixture into the prepared casserole/baking tray.
- Using the back of a spoon or a spatula, evenly press the mixture into the casserole/baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven at 180° Celsius.
- Once baked, carefully remove the Crunchies from the oven.
- Allow it to cool for 2 minutes in the casserole/baking tray.
- Thereafter, carefully grab the sides of the wax or parchment paper & lift it out of the casserole/baking tray.
- Whilst still warm, use a sharp knife & cut into squares. I got 16 squares out of mine but you may cut them bigger or smaller, according to your preference.
- These Crunchies may be served as is but my personal preference is to add some melted chocolate over.
- Break the chocolate of your choice into smaller pieces & place into a microwave safe bowl. I have used Aero Milk Chocolate.
- Place the bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds & then remove from the microwave.
- Give it a mix, making sure that the spoon is completely dry or else it can seize the chocolate making it unusable. The chocolate should be partially melted.
- Place it back into the microwave for another 30 seconds & then remove.
- Give it a stir once again & this time it should be melted all the way through.
- Using a teaspoon, simply spoon a little of the melted chocolate at a time & drizzle it over the cut Crunchies.
- Plate & serve.
- These Crunchies will harden & become crunchy once they are cooled – hence the name “Crunchies“.
- Store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
- If you enjoyed these Crunchies, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).