ALMOND & CRANBERRY BISCOTTI
This Recipe Makes ± 24 (2 Dozens) Biscotti’s
These delicious treats are twice-baked for that crunchy texture & are actually not that far off from our South African rusks, although rusks are baked for a much longer period of time, the resemblance of the taste is almost identical.
Biscotti’s are very forgiving treats that can be customized according to your favourite add-in’s. If you do not have almonds or cranberry’s, simply make them plain.
Almond & Cranberry Biscotti Ingredients:
- 60 grams butter or margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon almond essence
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup whole almonds
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 160° Celsius.
- Make sure that the butter is at room temperature.
- Add the butter / margarine to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the white granulated sugar.
- Cream the butter / margarine & the sugar until well combined. This can be done by hand using a wooden spoon or with an electric mixer.
- Crack in the eggs.
- Pour in the vegetable oil.
- Pour in the almond & vanilla essence.
- Mix well.
- Add in salt, baking powder & the bicarbonate of soda.
- Then add in 1 ½ cups of the all-purpose flour.
- Finally, add in the whole almonds.
- Followed by the dried cranberries.
- Mix well using a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- The mixture should be a tad sticky.
- Using the remaining ½ cup of flour, dust some of it onto a working surface.
- Place the dough onto the floured surface.
- Dust the dough with flour.
- Knead the dough until it is not sticky.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Roll both parts into logs..
- Carefully carry the logs & place onto a wax/parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Using your fingers, slightly flatten the logs.
- Bake them for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven at 160° Celsius.
- Do not switch the oven off. Carefully carry the baked Biscotti logs onto a cooling rack & allow them to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once they are cooled, it is time to cut them.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the logs diagonally at a 75° angle.
- Place the sliced biscotti’s onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake them for 5 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven & carefully flip each Biscotti.
- Bake them for another 5 minutes.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven.
- These Almond & Cranberry Biscotti are ready to be devoured. Plate & serve.
- They are super yum & aren’t very sweet which also make them great for those breakfast-on-the-go mornings.
- Store these Almond & Cranberry Biscotti in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- If you enjoyed these Soft Ginger Biscuits, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).