BATTERED ONION RINGS
This Recipe Serves 5-7
Battered onion rings are a type of hors d’oeuvre (appetizers) or side dish regularly found in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, & a few sections of Asia. They for the most part comprise of a cross-sectional “ring” of onion (the round structure of which loans itself well to this strategy for planning) plunged in batter & after that deep fried.
Battered Onion Rings Ingredients:
- 3-4 onions, cut horizontally
- 1 can beer or soda water (club soda)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups cold water
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon peri peri Aromat (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder (Paprika may be used)
- cooking oil for deep frying
- Cut the ends of the onions, remove the peels & discard.
- In the same direction that you cut of the ends of the onions (If the ends are at North & South positions, then cut horizontally. If the ends are at East & West positions, then cut vertically), cut sections according to how thick you want the onion rings to be. I usually give it about 4-5 cuts per onion.
- This will form clusters of rings.
- Push each ring out carefully, avoiding breakage of the rings.
- Place the separated onion rings into a large bowl.
- Pour in the cold water.
- Drop in the 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Allow the onion rings to soak in the salted water for 30 minutes.
- In a separate, large bowl/dish, drop in the flour, salt & pepper to taste, baking powder, Kashmiri chilli powder or Paprika & the Peri Peri Aromat (Optional). – I used the Kashmiri chilli powder in my mixture.
- Mix well until all the dry ingredients are combined.
- Add in the beer or the soda water. I used Castle beer (The beer was 330ml, but I used ± 250ml of the beer for the mixture).
- Mix the beer or soda water well with the flour mixture. Keep stirring until it’s a pancake mixture consistency.
- After 30 minutes has passed for the soaked onion rings, pat them dry onto a paper towel.
- Next, dunk the dried onion rings into the batter.
- Coat all the onion ring well with the batter.
- Heat a deep pot or pan with cooking oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is sizzling, carefully place the battered onion rings into the oil using a fork.
- Fry the onion rings until golden brown & crispy.
- Remove from oil onto a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
- Serve hot.