CHAPLI KEBAB CHUTNEY
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-4
This Chapli Kebab Chutney is so yummy & easy to prepare. The chapli kebabs can be homemade from scratch or you can find the pre-made ones at local Indian butcheries.
For this recipe, I used the pre-made chapli kebabs which I found to be much quicker. If you want to make your own , simply mix together mince, spices of your choice, gram flour, chilies, coriander & egg to bind it. Roll into balls & you have your homemade kebabs.
Chapli Kebab Chutney Ingredients:
- 1 pack chapli kebabs (± 8 kebabs)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 4 green chilies
- coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- I’m using pre- made chapli kebabs for this recipe.
- They are basically similar to mini burger patties but packed with spices that give them a different taste.
- Add the vegetable oil to a wide pan & place on the stovetop on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add in the chapli kebabs.
- Allow it to fry until golden.
- Flip them over & allow the other side to fry.
- Once the chapli kebabs are cooked throughout, remove them from the oil & set aside.
- Next, peel & cut the onion.
- Rinse & slit green the chilies.
- Grate or blend the tomatoes. If choosing to grate them – rinse tomatoes, cut off the ends of each tomato & then slice each one into halves. Place the flat & fleshy side of the tomato onto the grater, & grate the flesh of the tomatoes into a bowl. Discard of the tomato skins. If choosing the blending option – rinse tomatoes, cut off the ends of each tomato & then slice each one into quarters. Place the tomatoes with the skin into a blender & pulse for a few seconds until the tomatoes are finer but not too runny, as the image below.
- To the same pan that the chapli kebabs were frying in, add in the onions, green chilies & thyme.
- Mix & sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the turmeric powder, chili powder, red chili flakes & the ginger & garlic paste.
- Mix & simmer for 30 seconds.
- Add in the blended or grated tomatoes & the curry leaves.
- Mix well.
- Cover with a lid & simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the oil surfaces & the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- When the tomatoes have cooked, the liquid would have reduced.
- Add in the salt & granulated sugar.
- Mix well.
- Next, add in the fried chapli kebabs.
- Toss the kebabs in the tomato chutney.
- Cover with a lid & allow the flavours to infuse for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, give it a quick stir & turn off the heat.
- Garnish with fresh coriander (dhania).
- Serve this Chapli Kebab Chutney hot with rice, bread or roti.