This Spanish Recipe Serves 2-4
Spanish omelettle is the English term given for the traditional Spanish dish which is known as tortilla española, tortilla de patatas or tortilla de papas. It is an omelette made with eggs & potatoes.
Spanish Omelette Ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- 1 potato
- 4 ham slices or 2-3 viennas
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- salt to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- Chop onion & set aside.
- Peel & chop potato into very small cubes & set aside.
- Heat a little cooking oil in a pan & drop in the chopped potato.
- Add the chopped onion to the potatoes & season with a pinch of salt.
- Mix well & stir with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When the potatoes are soft, mash them up using the back of the wooden spoon, pressing them down firmly.
- Once the potatoes are mashed, allow to cook for 2-3 minutes more & then set aside.
- Grate your preferred cheese & set aside. I have used gouda.
- Cut viennas into smaller lengths & set aside. I did not have ham on hand so I used viennas.
- Crack eggs into a medium sized bowl/dish.
- Season eggs with salt & beat using a fork.
- Thereafter, add in the cooked potatoes.
- Combine well.
- Using a deep pan, add a little cooking oil on low heat & drop in half of the potato & egg mixture.
- Next place your ham slices or viennas over the mixture.
- Next, spread over the grated cheese.
- Thereafter, pour over the remaining potato & egg mixture. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Thereafter, place a plate over the pan & toss the omelette from the pan onto the plate. This will leave the uncooked side at the bottom of the plate & hence the cooked side will be visible.
- Now you are going to slide the omelette from the plate back into the pan, this will allow for the uncooked side to be on the surface of the pan.
- Using a spoon, tuck in the edges of the omelette so that it will keep its rounded shape. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- When done you can choose to either slide it onto your plate or use the plate on top method that we had used earlier.
- Slice your Spanish Omelette & serve hot or cold.