This South African Recipe Makes 1 Casserole (±12 Squares)
Peppermint Tart is a sweet & cold South African dessert. It is creamy & rich with a minty flavor that will leave you satisfied with just a small portion. Homemade Peppermint Tart is really easy to make & isn’t time consuming.
If these brands aren’t available, use coconut biscuits as a replacement for Tennis biscuits & a tin of condensed milk may be boiled for around 6 hours which will result in caramel. Any other chocolate that contains peppermint/mint in them can be used as well.
Peppermint Tart Ingredients:
- 2 x 200 grams Original Bakers Tennis Biscuits
- 360 grams (1 tin) Nestlé Caramel Treat
- 150 grams Nestlé Peppermint Crisp Chocolate
- 500 ml Fresh Cream
- In a large bowl, pour in the fresh cream.
- Whip cream for a few minutes until stiff peaks form & set aside.
- In another bowl, add in the Nestlé Caramel Treat.
- Whisk the caramel until smooth.
- Thereafter, pour the caramel into the bowl of fresh cream.
- Gently fold until combined.
- Grate about 50 grams of the Peppermint Crisp chocolate.
- Add the grated chocolate to the cream & caramel mixture.
- Gently mix & set aside.
- In a deep casserole, lay out the Original Bakers Tennis Biscuits, break them to fill in the gaps if needed.
- Next, scoop some of the cream & caramel mixture over the biscuits & smooth it out with the back of a spoon.
- Thereafter, add another layer of biscuits over.
- Scoop the remaining caramel & cream mixture over & smooth out once again.
- Grate the remaining Nestlé Peppermint Crisp chocolate over.
- Add some fresh mint if preferred to make it a little extra special.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or saran wrap (cling film/wrap) & allow for it to set in the refrigerator for ± 4 hours.
- After setting, it should be easier to slice through for serving.
- Cut into squares & serve.
- Notice the lovely layers formed once the Peppermint Tart is sliced.
- Store this Peppermint Tart in the refrigerator for up to a week.