This Recipe Makes 32 Bite Sized Sausage Rolls
These Sausage Rolls are super delicious & easy to prepare. They make for perfect snacks & starters.
Growing up, I always found myself munching on sausage rolls, especially on those cold rainy days. These warm pockets of goodness are filled with sausages & wrapped with puff pastry.
Homemade puff pastry is always a winner but nowadays everyone needs the easy way out so I have used a store bought puff pastry for this recipe.
Sausage Rolls Ingredients:
- 500 grams puff pastry
- 7-8 links of sausages
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- flour for dusting the surface
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Make sure that the sausages & the puff pastry are defrosted. I have used spicy lamb sausages for this recipe but you may substitute them to suite your preference.
- Remove the casings from the sausages.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a working surface & place the puff pastry over it.
- Next, mold the sausages as they would be if they still had their casings & place them onto the puff pastry. Leaving some space in between, cut the puff pastry.
- Thereafter, roll the puff pastry over the sausage filling, leaving the seams at the bottom end.
- Continue this process until all of the puff pastry is rolled.
- Next, cut the rolls to form smaller pieces – I have cut mine into bite sized pieces but you may cut them to form bigger Sausage Rolls.
- Thereafter, using a knife, make slits on the top of each Sausage Roll. This will allow the filling to cook properly,
- Prepare a baking tray by lining it with baking or parchment paper & then lay the Sausage Rolls onto it, making sure there is a space in between them.
- Crack the egg into a bowl & add in the milk.
- Mix well.
- Brush the egg wash over each Sausage Roll & then top with either sesame seeds or poppy seeds although it isn’t necessary to add anything after the egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Plate & serve.
- Best when served hot as the sausage filling tends to get fatty when cold.
- These Sausage Rolls can also be made ahead & stored in the freezer before baking them. Defrost them when you need to bake them.