This Recipe Makes 4-8 Naan Pieces
Butter Naan is simply an Indian style flat bread similar to roti/chapatti but is much thicker & airier. If you enjoy garlic naan then this Butter Naan is just as good, but without the garlic of course. Typically this delicate wonderful Indian bread is cooked in a tandoor oven, a hot clay oven used to cook tandoori dishes or on a tava. Ordinarily, it is served hot & brushed with ghee or butter.
Butter Naan Ingredients:
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a mixing bowl, add in the flour, salt, baking powder & the sugar.
- Thereafter, pour in the vegetable oil & add in the butter.
- Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour, combining all the ingredients together as you go along.
- Next, pour in the milk.
- Mix until combined. You should have a somewhat clumpy dough.
- Use your hands to combine & smoothen out the dough in the bowl.
- Place the dough on a floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth & pliable.
- Divide the dough into four pieces.
- Now, you may leave the four pieces as is if you want a thicker naan as I have done or you may divide each of the four parts further into two part which will leave you with eight parts. The eight parts will result in a much thinner & smaller naan.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough balls into oval, circular or rectangular shapes.
- Once all your dough balls are rolled out, heat a tava or a non stick pan.
- Place the shaped dough onto the heated tawa/pan – pricked side first.
- Allow for it to toast nicely for around a minute & then flip them over.
- Allow the other side to toast for another minute. Remove & set on a plate. Cover with a dish towel & continue the same process until all the naan’s are toasted.
- By covering these Butter Naan’s with a dish towel, it will allow the moisture to keep the naan’s soft.
- These Butter Naan’s can be served as a side to any dish or can be used as a wrap for fillings. These are also great just as is.