FARM STYLE SCONES
This Recipes Makes ± 22 Medium Sized Scones
Farm Style Scones are warm & so fresh that they melt in your mouth. These are perfect comfort treat for those cold Winter days. Snuggle up with a warm Farm Style Scone smeared with clotted cream, whipped cream or butter & jam.
Scones are fluffy cake like breads which are baked in the oven until golden. There are two ways to pronounce the word Scone, mainly “Skone” which is pronounced as the word tone & “Skon” which is pronounced as the word gone. Some say the word originates from the Dutch word ‘schoonbrot’, which implies beautiful bread, while others contend it originates from Stone of Destiny, where the Kings of Scotland were delegated. As indicated by Webster’s Dictionary, scones began in Scotland in the mid 1500s.
Farm Style Scones Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 7-8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
- 125 grams cold butter (10 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Add the all purpose flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt & baking powder.
- Thereafter, add in the icing sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add in the cold butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips.
- It should resemble a breadcrumb texture.
- Crack two eggs into a small bowl & beat together using a fork.
- Add the vanilla essence & the vegetable oil to the beaten eggs.
- Mix well & add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Thereafter, add in the sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt.
- Mix together using your hands. It should form into a dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin.
- The dough should be about an inch thick.
- Use a cutter or a small tumbler & cut out as many shapes as you can. You can put together the scraps & re-roll it to get more out of the dough.
- Grease a pan or baking tray & sprinkle over some flour.
- Place the shapes of the dough onto the prepared pan or baking tray.
- Allow the shapes of dough to rest on the tray for 5 minutes.
- In the time being, crack the other egg into a bowl & beat together with the milk.
- Brush the egg & milk mixture onto the dough. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Once baked, remove & place on a cooling rack.
- Serve these Farm Style Scones with a hot cuppa.
- These can also be served with a jam of your choice.
- Also may be served with a slather of butter or clotted or whipped cream.
- Goes well with Turkish Coffee.
- These Farm Style Scones are super fluffy on the inside.
- Just a tip from my experiments, if your oven is preheated then these scones will rise beautifully with a smooth top. If you do not preheat your oven, do not worry, the taste will still be as amazing, although, they won’t rise that much & the tops will have more of a rough look.