FARM STYLE SCONES
This Recipes Makes ± 18 Medium Sized Scones
Farm Style Scones are warm & so fresh that they melt in your mouth. These are perfect comfort treat for those cold Winter days. Snuggle up with a warm Farm Style Scone smeared with clotted cream, whipped cream or butter & jam.
Scones are fluffy cake like breads which are baked in the oven until golden. There are two ways to pronounce the word Scone, mainly “Skone” which is pronounced as the word tone & “Skon” which is pronounced as the word gone. Some say the word originates from the Dutch word ‘schoonbrot’, which implies beautiful bread, while others contend it originates from Stone of Destiny, where the Kings of Scotland were delegated. As indicated by Webster’s Dictionary, scones began in Scotland in the mid 1500s.
Farm Style Scones Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 1 cup sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 7 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
- 125 grams cold butter (10 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Lightly flour a baking tray & set aside.
- Make sure the butter or margarine is cold.
- Add the all purpose or cake flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the salt & baking powder.
- Thereafter, add in the icing sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add in the cold butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips. It should resemble a breadcrumb texture.
- Crack two eggs into a small bowl.
- Pour in the vanilla essence.
- Pour in the vegetable oil.
- Beat the eggs using a fork.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.
- Thereafter, add in the sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt.
- Mix together using your hands. It should form into a dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Lightly dust some flour over the dough, use your hands to press down onto the dough, spreading it out. Thereafter, roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
- The dough should be about an inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or a glass & cut out as many shapes as you can.
- Place the shapes of the dough onto the prepared baking tray.
- Allow the shapes of dough to rest on the tray for 5 minutes.
- In the time being, crack the other egg into a bowl.
- Add in the milk.
- Beat until combined – this is the egg wash for the scones.
- Brush the egg wash onto the scones that were resting.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Place the scones onto a cooling rack.
- The remaining scraps of dough can be carefully folded together so that more shapes may be cut out. Try to work gently with it because if the dough is over handled, it may not rise as well.
- Serve these Farm Style Scones with a hot cuppa.
- They can also be served with a jam, cream, cheese or butter of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week, depending on the humidity.
- These Farm Style Scones are super fluffy on the inside & I personally prefer them with a thick slather of butter.