EET SUM MORE COPYCAT BISCUITS
This Recipes Makes ± 50 Biscuits
These Eet Sum Mor Copycat Biscuits are such a close resemblance in taste to the original biscuits (cookies). It’s both a shortbread & a biscuit (cookie) combined which gives it that remarkable flavour.
The Eet Sum Mor Biscuits hit the South African market in approximately 1940. Mr Albert Baumann & his cousin Mr Otto Baumann worked together in finding a biscuit that resembled a shortbread. Albert wanted these biscuits to be prepared using a machine instead of by hand, as many other shortbread’s are made by hand. Otto took charge of the production.
The name Eet Sum More came about when Mr Albert Baumann consumed one of the samples of this shortbread biscuits & stated that it was very tasty, he had continued to state that once you had eaten one you wanted to eat some more, so then he came to a conclusion of naming the biscuit “Eat-some-more”.
This shortbread biscuit is one of South Africa’s favourites. If you’re abroad & are craving this South African treat then try out my easy recipe.
Eet Sum Mor Copycat Biscuits Ingredients:
- 250 grams butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup icing sugar (confectionery sugar)
- 2 tablespoons milk powder (I used the Klim brand)
- ½ cup corn flour (maziena)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl.
- Add the icing sugar (confectionery sugar) to the butter.
- Cream together the butter & the icing sugar.
- Pour in the vegetable oil.
- Add in the vanilla essence,
- Mix well.
- Next, sift in the all purpose flour.
- Thereafter, sift in the corn flour (maziena).
- Finally, sift in the milk powder.
- Roughly mix with a wooden spoon.
- Next, use your hands to form the mixture into a cookie dough.
- Place the dough onto the counter & form into a rectangle or similar to the image below. Divide into 3 parts.
- Individually wrap the 3 pieces of dough into cling wrap (saran wrap).
- Next, mold the dough in each of the cling wrap to form square logs.
- Freeze these logs with the cling wrap for 30 minutes (½ an hour) or refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After they have cooled into the shape, remove from the freezer/refrigerator & set on the counter. It’s best working with one log at a time. Remove the cling wrap.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Using a finger width space, slice the cookie dough. This will form squares.
- Place the square shaped dough’s onto a greased baking pan/tray. I used spray & cook to grease the pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180° Celsius.until very lightly browned.
- Place the baked biscuits (cookies) onto a cooling rack.
- Continue the same process for the other cold cookie dough logs.
- Now you have your very own Eet Sum Mor Copycat Biscuits.
- Store in an airtight container. These Eet Sum Mor Copycat Biscuits go well with Turkish Coffee.