COCONUT MACAROON NESTS
This Recipe Makes ± 45 Macaroons
If you are a coconut lover then these Coconut Macaroon Nests are a must try. This is a great Easter idea that both kids & adults will enjoy. It is a quick & easy recipe that is so delicious & fun to make.
I’ve topped them with speckled eggs for an Easter vibe but this may be omitted if you’re just looking for a coconut treat. They are chewy on the inside & crispy on the outside.
Coconut Macaroon Nests Ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cups white granulated sugar
- 80 grams milk chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- speckled eggs as needed
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the white granulated sugar.
- Next, add in the vanilla essence.
- Use a hand mixer (this can also be done in a stand mixer), whisk the ingredients until it is frothy with bubbles. This takes around a minute or less. Do not whisk it until peaks form.
- Add in the desiccated coconut.
- Use a spatula & gently fold together the coconut & the frothy mixture.
- Next, I am using a tablespoon measuring spoon with a round bottom to shape the macaroons. It can also be rolled or scooped with a regular spoon.
- Scoop the coconut mixture into the spoon & use your hands to compress the mixture tightly in the spoon – this will prevent it from splitting later on & neaten out the excess mixture around the spoon.
- Tap the back of the spoon onto a baking tray, allowing the mixture to fall out of the spoon. Continue this process until the tray is full. (Leave about a 5 centimeter space between each macaroon).
- These macaroons can be baked as is but as I am making them nests, I will be taking them a step further.
- To create the nests, use a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon with a round bottom & carefully press down into the center of each macaroon. Alternatively, this may be done using your fingertips.
- Place the tray into the preheated oven & bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Allow the macaroons to cool completely on the pan before taking them off as they will break.
- Once the macaroons are completely cooled, use a spoon & carefully lift them off the tray & onto a plate.
- Thereafter, bring out the chocolate. I used the Cadbury slab.
- Break the chocolate into pieces & place it into a microwave safe bowl.
- To the chocolate, add the 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Place the bowl into the microwave & heat for 30 seconds. Give it a mix. The chocolate should be partially melted.
- Add it back into the microwave & heat for another 30 seconds. Give it a mix & it should be nice & melted.
- Using the tip of a spoon, drop the melted chocolate into the indents of the macaroons. The chocolate will not only amplify the flavour of the macaroons, but will also act as a glue for the speckled eggs.
- For the final touch to these delicious Coconut Macaroon Nests, top with speckled eggs.
- These Coconut Macaroon Nests will scream Easter in your home & are also perfect for gifting to your friends or family.
- Don’t these look just like tiny little nests? Adorable right!
- Store these Coconut Macaroon Nests in an airtight container for up to a week, depending on the humidity of your area as the coconut will go bad in hot climates. It may also be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Some other Easter goodies that you could make are Sweetie Pies, No Bake Marie Biscuit Brownies & Chocolate Chip Cookies.