This Recipe Serves 1-2
This quick & easy Classic Meatloaf will keep your whole family satisfied. It is filled with flavor & is super scrumptious.
Meatloaf is a dish of ground meat blended with a variety of ingredients, molded into a shape of a loaf & baked in the oven.
This recipe was given to me by my aunt (mum’s sister) & it is my go to recipe for Classic Meatloaf.
Classic Meatloaf Ingredients:
- 500 grams ground beef/lamb (mince)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ½ onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon mustard + additional 3 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce (ketchup)
- salt to taste
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160° Celsius or 320° Fahrenheit.
- Finely chop the onion & set aside.
- Place the ground lamb/beef (mince) into a large bowl. Make sure not to rinse it as you want the mince to remain as dry as possible.
- Drop in the chopped onion to the bowl/dish of mince.
- Thereafter, add in the ginger & garlic paste.
- Next, add in the garam masala & salt to taste.
- Then pour in the tomato sauce (ketchup).
- Next, add in the tablespoon of mustard.
- Crack in the egg.
- Sprinkle in the thyme.
- Lastly, add in the breadcrumbs.
- Combine all the ingredients using your hands.
- Prepare a casserole with foil & spray with cooking spray or drizzle some vegetable oil. The foil avoids having a messy casserole, but that is completely optional.
- Now using your hands, mold the mince mixture into a loaf like shape & place into the prepared casserole.
- Smear the additional 3 teaspoons of mustard over the molded meat. This will allow the meatloaf to have a nicely browned outside.
- Bake for 1 hour at 160 °Celsius or 320 °Fahrenheit. Note: If using a gas stove, bake for 1 hour & if using a conventional oven, bake for 1 ½ hours. Check on the meatloaf halfway through & remove any excess water that may have formed in the casserole – this will allow the meatloaf to cook properly & won’t leave it soggy.
- Once cooked, carefully remove from the casserole & place on a cutting board, tray or plate.
- Garnish with chopped dhania (coriander) – optional & begin slicing as you would a loaf of bread – but obviously much thicker slices or else it may break & fall apart.
- Serve whilst hot.
- This Classic Meatloaf can be eaten as is or with various sides, such as Spicy Penne Pasta, Mexican Salsa, roasted veggies & rolls.