This Indian Recipe Serves 3-5
Potato Curry is one of the least complex curry dishes to prepare. Unlike braised yellow potato, this curry has a spiciness to it as spices are added into this dish.
Potato Curry Ingredients:
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 onion
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon Kashmiri Chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon Bombay Delite masala
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tomato
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Peel & cut potatoes into cubes & place into a large bowl/dish.
- Fill the bowl with water so that the potatoes do not turn a brownish colour. Set aside until ready to use.
- Peel & chop onions & set aside.
- Dice tomato & set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot & add in the onions.
- Thereafter, add in the jeera seeds, curry leaves & thyme. Mix & simmer until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the chilli powder/masala, the turmeric powder & ginger & garlic paste.
- Stir & simmer for a minute.
- Next, add in the tomatoes.
- Stir & allow tomatoes to cook until soft. Add a little water if necessary.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, add in the potatoes, discarding the water that the potatoes had been resting in.
- Give it a stir, coating all the potatoes in the spices.
- Add a little water, mix & allow the potatoes to cook until soft.
- Make sure to keep checking on the potatoes every 6-7 minutes as you do not want the bottom to get caught on the surface of the pot.
- When the potatoes are soft, add salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Best served hot.
- Goes well with Puli Sadam.
- Also goes well with rice, yellow split pea dhall & mushroom curry.
- This Potato Curry can also be sandwiched with bread & served plain or toasted.