BRAISED YELLOW POTATO
This Indian Recipe Serves 3-5
Braised Yellow Potato is cooked using & fresh green chilies & turmeric powder instead of chili powder or masala. This dish is often eaten in most Indian restaurants with dosa/masala dosa or simply used as samoosa filling. It can also be enjoyed with roti’s, puri’s, soft white bread, parathas or rice.
Braised Yellow Potato Ingredients:
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ½ onion
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ tomato
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin) seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- Get your potatoes out.
- Peel & cut potatoes into cubes & place into a bowl.
- Peel & chop onion.
- Rinse tomato, chop & set aside.
- Rinse green chilies, slit & set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot. Add in the onions, green chilies, thyme, curry leaves, jeera (cumin) seeds & mustard seeds.
- Mix well.
- Simmer until onions are translucent.
- Thereafter, add in the turmeric powder.
- Next, add in the tomatoes.
- Stir & allow tomatoes to cook until soft. Add a little water if necessary.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked, add in the potatoes, discarding the water that the potatoes had been resting in. Also add salt to taste.
- Pour in a little water & mix, coating all the potatoes in the spices.
- Notice how there is a little water, if you put too much in, it will result in mashed potatoes. It is best to add a little water at a time.
- Allow the potatoes to cook until soft.
- When the potatoes are soft, turn off the heat & garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Best served hot.
- Goes well with soft white bread, dosa, rice or rotis.