INSTANT POT STEAMED GEM SQUASH
This Recipe Makes 3 Gem Squash
Instant Pot Steamed Gem Squash is so easy to prepare. Gem squash is a green toned spherical vegetable with a fleshy inside – the inside is usually hard which is why they need to be cooked by either boiling, steaming or baking them, this will then result in a soft palatable & delicious vegetable.
The result of steaming this vegetable was amazing! In our household we always boiled them & the inside was always soft but there was a lot of moisture because they are basically submerged into water. Steaming them is my new favourite way of cooking Gem Squash because not only are they perfectly cooked, they do not have that excess moisture in them.
Instant Pot Steamed Gem Squash Ingredients:
- 1 cup water for the Instant Pot
- 3 Gem Squash
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- butter or margarine as needed
- 1×420 grams Cream Style Sweetcorn (optional)
- Handful of cheese of your choice (optional)
- Steamer basket
- This is the steamer basket that I have used from the accessory kit.
- I purchased my Gem Squash already cut into halves with the seeds scooped out.
- If you have them whole, carefully cut them into halves using a sharp knife, thereafter, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds & discard of them.
- Once the Gem Squash’s are all cleaned, add them into the steamer basket.
- Plug in your Instant Pot, the display should read “OFF”.
- Open the Instant Pot Lid & pour the 1 cup of water into the stainless steel inner pot.
- Place the steamer basket with the Gem Squash into the Instant Pot – over the water.
- Sprinkle over some salt.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Turn the anti-blockage vent (steam release handle) to “SEALING”.
- Press the “Pressure Cook” button. Press the button again to set the pressure level to “MORE” on the display. Next, use the “- or +” buttons & set the cooking time to 00:20 (20 minutes).
- The Instant Pot should display “ON” until the pressure builds up.
- Once the pressure builds up, the “float valve” will pop up – when it pops up, do not attempt to open the lid! Thereafter, the 20 minute timer will count down on the screen.
- After the 20 minutes are over. Do not press Cancel on your Instant Pot, instead, allow it to do a “NATURAL RELEASE” of the pressure for 15 minutes. A counter will automatically display on the screen “L000”.
- Allow it to go up to “L015” – this means that it has naturally released the pressure.
- Thereafter, press “CANCEL” on your Instant Pot.
- Turn the anti-blockage vent (steam release handle) to “VENTING” to allow the excess steam to release. Once the “float valve” sinks in, it is safe to open the lid.
- Carefully take out the steamer basket from the Instant Pot.
- Pour out any water that may be in the bowls of the gem squash.
- Season with salt &/or ground black pepper.
- These Gem Squash’s may be eaten as is – seasoning only.
- Blobs of butter may also be added.
- I added some creamed sweetcorn to my Instant Pot Steamed Gem Squash as well. This is optional.
- Top with any cheese of your choice, this is also optional. I used Italian Grana Padano.
- The great thing about Gem Squash is that they are a bowl on their own so you can fill them up with whatever you desire.
- Serve them as is or as a side to meals such as roast beef/chicken/lamb.