This Recipe Makes ± 110 Small Biscuits (9 Dozens)
We all know & have tasted the good old Raffaello Chocolate balls which are almonds enrobed in delicious white chocolate inside a spherical wafer, coated in coconut. Now you can have a similar taste but in the form of a biscuit (cookie), I bring you Raffaello Biscuits – so delicious & yet so easy to prepare.
Raffaello Biscuits Biscuits Ingredients:
- 250 grams butter / margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup icing (confectionery) sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup corn flour (Maziena)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons milk powder (Klim) – optional
- 320 grams White Chocolate (4 x 80 gram slabs)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil (for every 80 grams of chocolate, use 1 teaspoon of oil)
- ± 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is at room temperature.
- Use a blender or coffee grinder to finely chop the almonds, it should still be a bit chunky.
- Add the the butter / margarine to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the icing (confectionery) sugar.
- Cream the butter / margarine & the icing sugar until well combined. This can be done by hand using a wooden spoon or with an electric mixer.
- Pour in the vegetable oil.
- Mix well.
- Add in the vanilla & almond essence.
- Then add in the all-purpose flour.
- Add in the corn flour (Maziena), baking powder & the milk powder.
- Finally, add in the chopped almonds.
- Roughly mix using a wooden spoon.
- Next, use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Pinch off a small portion of the dough, approximately 10 grams.
- Roll into balls.
- Lay them onto a wax/parchment paper lined baking tray keeping spaces in between them as they will rise a bit.
- Bake them for 10 minutes in the preheated oven at 180° Celsius.
- The biscuits will be soft & easily breakable when they are still hot, allow them to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes, thereafter, carefully remove the biscuits from the hot tray & place onto a cooling rack.
- Continue the same process until all the biscuits are baked. Once the biscuits are all cooled, it’s time to coat them.
- Start by placing the white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. I used Milky Bar.
- Add in the vegetable oil. This allows to chocolate to weaken & become more silky when coating the biscuits.
- Place the bowl into the microwave & heat for 30 seconds.
- Give it a stir.
- Place it back into the microwave for another 30 seconds & stir once more.
- If the chocolate is fully melted, do not put it back into the microwave, if not, put it in for a few seconds more.The chocolate should be smooth & silky.
- To another bowl, add the desiccated coconut.
- Dunk the cooled biscuits one at a time into the melted chocolate, use a spoon to lift it out of the chocolate.
- Thereafter, dunk it into the bowl of desiccated coconut & coat it well.
- Set them aside on wax/parchment paper to allow the chocolate to set for a few minutes.
- If you do not like white chocolate, you may opt to using milk chocolate, it’s just as delicious.
- Plate & serve these Raffaello Biscuits with a glass of milk (optional).
- They look like white balls of snow.
- Store these Raffaello Biscuits in an airtight container or in a cookie jar for up to a two weeks.
- These biscuits can also be enjoyed without any coating & they can be rolled into larger balls.
- When baking the larger biscuits, bake them for 15 minutes.
- If you enjoyed these Soft Ginger Biscuits, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).