This Indian Recipe Serves 2-4
This Kebab Chutney is so yummy & easy to prepare. The kebabs can be homemade from scratch or you can find the pre-made ones at local Indian butcheries.
For this recipe, I used the pre-made kebabs which I found to be much quicker. If you want to make your own kebabs, simply mix together mince, spices of your choice, chilies, coriander & egg to bind it. Roll into balls & you have your homemade kebabs.
Kebab Chutney Ingredients:
- ½ kg kebabs (± 20 kebabs)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 5 large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 4 green chilies
- coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- Peel & sliver onion. Set aside.
- Rinse & slit green chillies. Set aside.
- Grate or blend the tomatoes. If choosing to grate them – rinse tomatoes, cut off the ends of each tomato & then slice each one into halves. Place the flat & fleshy side of the tomato onto the grater, & grate the flesh of the tomatoes into a bowl. Discard of the tomato skins. If choosing the blending option – rinse tomatoes, cut off the ends of each tomato & then slice each one into quarters. Place the tomatoes with the skin into a blender & pulse for a few seconds until the tomatoes are finer but not too runny, as the image below.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan. Once the oil has heated, add in the kebabs.
- Fry for about 5-6 minutes on the first side.
- They should be nice & browned. Then toss them over & allow the other side to fry for another 5-6 minutes.
- Once the kebabs are cooked, remove from oil & set them aside.
- For a healthier alternative, you may place them onto a baking tray & grill them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium sized pot. Add in the onions, green chilies, curry leaves & thyme.
- Mix well & simmer until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the chilli powder & ginger & garlic paste, followed by the grated or blended tomatoes.
- Mix well.
- Cover & simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the oil surfaces & the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- When the tomatoes have cooked, add in the sugar & salt to taste. Stir.
- Next, add in the fried or grilled kebabs.
- Mix & allow the kebabs to absorb the flavours for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander (dhania).
- Serve this Kebab Chutney hot with rice, bread or roti.