This Breakfast Recipe Serves 2-3
Egg Toast is otherwise called French toast, eggy bread, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights (of Windsor), or Spanish toast, is a dish made of bread which is sometimes absorbed in milk, then in beaten eggs & afterwards fried.
The name Egg Toast is actually the South African term given to French toast.
Slices of bread are absorbed or plunged a blend of beaten eggs, frequently with milk or cream. Now & then sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla are added to the blend. The slices of egg-covered bread are then fricasseed on both sides until they are seared & cooked through. Day-old bread is regularly suggested by cooks on the grounds that the stale bread will douse up more egg blend without falling apart.
The cooked slices of egg toast might be secured with sugar or sweet fixings, for example, jam, nectar (honey), fruit, or maple syrup, or filled in as an exquisite dish with ketchup or another sauce.
Egg Toast Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence – optional
- 4 eggs
- salt to taste
- butter for spreading
- 5-6 slices of bread (preferably white)
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Add salt as per taste & vanilla essence (optional). I find that the vanilla gives it that added flavour.
- You can add a dash of milk as well but I actually leave that out as I personally feel that it leaves the bread too soggy & the toasting process doesn’t work out too well.
- Next lightly beat the eggs.
- Lightly butter the slices of bread on both sides.
- Next, I like to cut the bread slices in halves as I find it easier to dunk into the egg mixture.
- Then you will need to carefully place one slice at a time into the bowl of egg mixture.
- Using a fork, turn the slice of buttered bread so that it is nicely coated in the egg mixture.
- Heat up a pan or skillet on the stove-top & place the soaked bread on the pan.
- Allow it to toast for about a minute or two & then flip them over using a spatula.
- Toast the other side for a minute or two as well.
- When the slices of bread are toasted on both side, lay them on a plate to serve.
- If you want an even more delicious flavour, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon powder over your cooked egg toast.
- Goes well with Indian Scrambled Eggs.