This Recipe Makes ± 24 Biscuits (2 Dozens)
Digestive Biscuits are so delicious & super easy to make.
These biscuits (cookies) can be eaten plain or you could level them up by adding melted chocolate – yum! They are perfect for dunking & make for delicious tea time treats.
Digestive Biscuits originated in Scotland, & were invented to aid digestion.
Digestive Biscuits Ingredients:
- 140 grams cold butter / margarine
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup icing (confectionery) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 80 ml milk
- melted chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150° Celsius.
- Make sure the butter / margarine is cold. Cut them into small chunks.
- Add the all-purpose flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add the the icing (confectionery) sugar & the baking powder.
- Thereafter, add in the cold chunks of butter.
- Use your fingertips & rub the butter into the flour.
- It should result in a crumbly mixture.
- Next, add in the whole wheat flour.
- Pour in the milk.
- Use your hands to bring the mixture together.
- It should form into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two parts.
- Place a sheet of wax/parchment paper onto a counter & place one part of the dough onto it.
- Cover the dough with another sheet of wax/parchment paper & slightly flatten.
- Use a rolling pin & roll out the dough.
- Remove the top sheet of wax/parchment paper. The dough should be about 2 centimetres thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter & press down onto the rolled out dough.
- Lay the cut out rounds onto a wax/parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Use a toothpick & poke multiple holes onto the biscuits to create that authentic Digestive Biscuits look.
- Bake them for ± 20 minutes in the preheated oven at 150° Celsius or until their a light golden colour.
- Carefully remove the biscuits from the hot tray onto a cooling rack & allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- These Digestive Biscuits can be enjoyed as is.
- They may even be enjoyed with a slather of melted chocolate – simply melt some chocolate chunks in a bowl for 30 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring between intervals.
- Spoon some of the melted chocolate onto the base of the biscuits.
- Lay the biscuits out onto a tray or rack.
- Pop them into the refrigerator for a few minutes to allow for the chocolate to set.
- I decided to have some plain & some with chocolate so that way I can enjoy them in both forms.
- Store these Digestive Biscuits in an airtight container or in a cookie jar for up to a two weeks.
- If you enjoyed these Digestive Biscuits, you may also enjoy these varieties of biscuits (cookies).