GREEN BANANA CURRY
This Indian Recipe Serves 1-2
Green banana curry is a spicy Indian vegetarian dish. It is a quick & easy meal which is very nutritious. This meal is also vegan friendly.
Raw green bananas are high in protein, has a low Glycemic Index & likewise has high resistance starch, which make them suitable for that diabetic people too.
Some methods of preparing Green Bananas before cooking them include steaming or boiling to avoid the bananas from turning black in colour. I avoid that step as I find that time consuming & I have noticed that my method does not turn the bananas black in any way.
Green Banana Curry Ingredients:
- ½ onion
- 1 tomato
- salt to taste + 1 teaspoon
- Bowl of cold water
- 6 green bananas
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil + additional for lathering hands
- Fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- To a bowl, add cold water & a teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- Bring out the green bananas.
- Before peeling or cutting the green bananas, lather some oil on your hands. This prevents your hands from becoming sticky with a rough after effect on the skin.
- Use a knife & slice the peel off the green bananas.
- Thereafter cut the bananas into small slices.
- Place into the salted water. This prevents it from oxidizing & turning colour. Set aside until ready to use.
- Peel & chop the onion.
- Dice the tomato.
- Slit the green chilies down the middle.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot. Add in the onions, green chilies, curry leaves & the mustard seeds.
- Mix well & allow to sauté until onions are translucent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add in the tomatoes.
- Next, add in the turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Cover with a lid & allow the tomatoes to cook for 5 minutes.
- Thereafter, discard of the water that the bananas had been resting in & add the sliced bananas to the pot.
- Pour in a little water.
- Mix well.
- Cover with a lid & allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, give it a stir & add more water if needed.
- Cover with a lid once again & cook for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the bananas should be soft.
- Add salt to taste & simmer for 2 minutes.
- Thereafter, turn off the heat & garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Plate & serve.
- This Green Banana Curry goes well with rice, bread, roti or puri.