PF CHANG’S DYNAMITE SHRIMP
This Chinese Food Recipe Serves 1-2
This PF Chang’s Dynamite Shrimp is unique. I was lost for words when I first tried them out as I’m particularly not a big Chinese food fan & my family decided to have Chinese so I didn’t want to be a spoilt spot & decided to try something off the menu & when I tried the Dynamite Shrimp I kept going back for more.
Unfortunately PF Chang’s restaurant is not in South Africa but there are various branches internationally. I have been to the one in Dubai (UAE) & costed around 50 AED which is equivalent to R200 for ±8 shrimps.
Paul Fleming is the P.F. in P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, which he helped to establish with Philip Chiang. This eatery network made its presentation in Scottsdale, Arizona in 1993. He at that point fabricated the foundation that drove the organization to national development.
PF Chang’s Dynamite Shrimp Ingredients:
- 100 grams shrimp (prawns), de-shelled & deveined
- 2 tablespoons peri peri powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
Dynamite Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Firstly, prepare the shrimps (prawns). Make sure it is de-shelled & deveined. Rinse & set in a medium sized bowl & marinate with lemon juice, ginger & garlic paste, salt & peri peri powder.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, add in the flour, cornstarch, black pepper & salt. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, crack in the eggs.
- Whisk eggs with a fork.
- Take the marinated shrimp (prawn) one at a time & first place into the seasoned flour mix, coating it well.
- Then place the flour coated shrimp (prawn) into the whisked eggs, coating it well.
- Lastly, place the egg coated shrimp (prawn) into the seasoned flour mix once again & set aside on a plate/tray.
- Do the same process for all the shrimps (prawns).
- Next pour the cooking oil into a deep pot & allow it to heat.
- When the oil is sizzling, drop the heat a bit & begin deep frying the battered shrimps (prawns).
- Do not over crowd the pot when frying as the oil will cool down & the shrimps will not cook properly.
- Fry the shrimps for 5 minutes until golden.
- When the shrimps have fried, place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Now begin to prepare the sauce. Add the mayonnaise to a bowl.
- Thereafter, add the Sriracha sauce to the mayonnaise & mix well.
- The sauce should be a bit pink in colour.
- Now add in the honey to the sauce mixture & combine well.
- The sauce is now ready.
- Begin dropping a few of the fried shrimps into the bowl of sauce, coating them nicely.
- Now this part is optional but PF Chang’s usually serve their Dynamite Shrimp in a margarita glass – I didn’t have those on hand so I opted using a wine glass. Gently place each coated shrimp into the glass. You can also lay the glass with lettuce or cabbage leaves first before placing the shrimps.
- Full the glass with as much shrimp at a manageable level.
- Chop some spring onions & sprinkle them over.
- PF Chang’s Dynamite Shrimp is done & ready to serve.
- Be sure to serve them whilst warm as the crispy batter tends to soften after a while. It can be served as a starter or as a side with any meal. Also goes well will PF Chang’s Crispy Green Beans.