This Recipe Serves 3-4
Chicken Khaliya also spelled Chicken Kalia or Chicken Kalya is a chicken curry from Mauritius that is made with yogurt & loads of spices.
This dish is also popular in South Africa in Cape Malay culture. It is a whole different way of preparing chicken curry & if you’re a chicken curry fan like I am then you will thoroughly enjoy this recipe.
Chicken Khaliya Ingredients:
- ± 5-6 chicken breast fillets (1 whole chicken can be used & cut into pieces).
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion, slivered
- 1 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 cup sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt – (I used sour milk)
- 100 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon yellow food colouring
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder (coriander powder)
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup fresh dhania (coriander), chopped
- 1 can (410 grams) tomato puree – (a store bought or homemade puree will do).
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Rinse chicken fillets.
- Cut fillets into pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces into a medium bowl.
- Marinate the chicken with the salt, turmeric powder, garam masala, dhania powder, jeera powder, chilli powder, thyme & ginger & garlic paste.
- Pour in the sour milk (maas) or plain yoghurt.
- Thereafter, add in the tomato puree.
- Mix well.
- Cover & allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Whilst waiting for the chicken to soak up all the spices, place eggs in a pot of water with a pinch of salt & bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, peel the eggs.
- Slice the eggs in halves & set aside in a bowl.
- (Click here for instructions on how to properly boil eggs).
- Next, peel & cut potatoes in halves & place into a microwavable bowl.
- Place potatoes into the microwave & heat for 4 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are done in the microwave, add in the yellow food colouring. Toss potatoes in the colouring so that they are evenly coated.
- Add the vegetable oil to a pot & fry coloured potatoes until crispy.
- Once potatoes are fried, remove from the oil & set aside on a plate.
- Next, peel & sliver the onion.
- Add the onions to the same pot that the potatoes had fried in.
- Mix & allow the onions to fry until browned.
- Once the onions are browned, remove from the oil & set aside on a plate.
- Add butter to another pot. Pot should be big enough to cook the chicken.
- Allow the butter to melt.
- Add the marinated chicken into the pot of butter.
- Pour in a little water & mix well.
- Cover & allow the chicken to cook for 20 minutes.
- After cooking for 20 minutes, add in the fried potatoes.
- Mix well & allow to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix in the sugar. Taste for salt & add more if required.
- Turn off the heat & spread the fried onions over the chicken.
- Lay the sliced boiled eggs over the onions.
- Garnish with fresh coriander (dhania).
- Serve hot with roti, rice, naan bread, bread, garlic naan, or butter naan.
- I served my Chicken Khaliya with fresh hot rotis (chapatis).