BAKED BEANS SALAD
This Recipe Serves 6-8
Baked Beans Salad also known as sambals is a traditional Indian style salad usually served with braais or roasts.
This salad is super easy to prepare & can be adjusted according to your taste buds. There are much simpler ways of making this salad but this is how I prefer making it.
The baked beans comes in cans which are ready to use which makes this salad quick & easy. It is also vegetarian friendly which is a plus.
Baked Beans Salad Ingredients:
- 1 can baked beans (410 grams)
- ½ onion
- ¼ cup fresh coriander (dhania)
- 3-4 green chilies
- ¼ tomato (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup ketchup (tomato sauce)
- Rinse & dice the tomato.
- Peel & finely chop the onion.
- Rinse & chop coriander (dhania).
- Rinse & finely chop the green chilies. Add more chilies if you want a spicier salad or omit the chilies if you prefer it mild.
- Add the baked beans to a large bowl.
- The finely chopped onions go into the bowl.
- Next, add in the diced tomato. This is optional & can be omitted.
- Add in the green chilies.
- Thereafter, add in the coriander (dhania).
- Finally, add in the lemon juice, salt to taste & the ketchup (tomato sauce). I add the ketchup (tomato sauce) to give the salad a more vibrant appearance.
- Mix well.
- It may be served as is but I prefer to empty it out into a smaller bowl & garnish with mint.
- Refrigerate for best results as this is a cold salad.
- Enjoy with braais or roasted dishes. Stores in the refrigerator for a week.