FISH ROE CHUTNEY
This Indian Food Recipe Serves 2
Fish Roe Chutney is a flavorful Indian dish prepared in a tomato based sauce. Fish Roe Chutney has been prepared for centuries in the Indian homes of South Africa. Most find it appalling to consume, whilst others cannot quite get enough.
Fish roes are the fully ripe internal egg masses in the ovaries of fish.
Fish Roe Chutney Ingredients:
- 500 grams fish roes (about 8 fish roes)
- 1 medium onion, slivered
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (manja)
- 5 medium sized jam tomatoes
- coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger & garlic paste
- 3-4 green chillies, slit
- 2 tablespoons Kashmiri chilli powder – or any other red chilli powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil + additional 1 tablespoon
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- Rinse fish roes & place in a wide pan with a little water.
- Cover with a lid & steam on medium heat until fish roes are cooked throughout. Add more water if necessary.
- Once cooked, add a tablespoon of oil & fry the fish roes on either side until browned. Once browned, set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot & add in the onions, thyme, curry leaves & chillies.
- Allow to simmer until onions are translucent.
- Add in the ginger & garlic paste, chilli powder & turmeric powder. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Grate or blanch tomatoes & add to the pot.
- Mix well & allow tomatoes to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add a little water if necessary.
- Once tomatoes are cooked, gently add in the fried fish roes.
- Gently stir, coating the fish roes with the chutney.
- Allow the fish roes to soak up the chutney & add in some flavour for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with dhania (coriander)
- Enjoy with rice, bread or roti or hard porridge (kali/sangiti).