NUTTIKRUST COPYCAT BISCUITS
This Recipe Makes ± 3 Batches
Nuttikrust Copycat Biscuits are my alternative of the original Bakers Nuttikrust Biscuits (Cookies). These are a childhood favourite with that irresistible crunch to it. Having a blend of oats & caramel, this makes an awesome snack for everyone at any time of day.
Being South African, these biscuits are a must have in every household. I was craving these biscuits & decided why not try my baking skills in the kitchen & so I worked up this amazing recipe which tastes just like the original biscuits.
Nuttikrust Copycat Biscuits Ingredients:
- 125 grams butter
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ¼ cup milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon caramel essence
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Firstly, preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tray with cooking spray & dust with a bit of flour & set aside.
- Place the oats into a blender.
- Add the desiccated coconut to the oats.
- Blend/grind until fine like powder form – there may be few that won’t crush but that is fine.
- Add the butter to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the castor sugar.
- Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, cream the butter & sugar.
- Next, add in baking powder, salt & the bicarbonate of soda.
- Thereafter, add in the crushed oats & coconut mixture.
- Mix well.
- Next, add in the vegetable oil, caramel essence & the golden syrup.
- Now add in the milk powder (I used Klim).
- Finally, add in the flour.
- Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- The mixture should look a bit crumbly. Use your hands and begin combining the mixture together.
- It should form a smooth cookie dough.
- Place the dough into a plastic bag & mold together, Freeze for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the freezer & discard of the plastic bag.
- Place a big sheet of wax paper on your working surface & cut the dough into two parts.
- Place one of the pieces aside to roll out later, for now we will be working with one piece.
- Press the dough down lightly. Place another sheet of wax paper over & roll out the dough. I rolled mine a bit too thin so just be careful when rolling.
- Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Use a cutter to cut out shapes of the dough. I used my cooling rack as it has a finger like shape.
- My cooling rack left behind an imprint, which I simply went over with a knife to make my cut outs.
- Next, I used my finger as a guide for the length of each biscuit.
- Place the cut outs onto the prepared baking tray, leaving a space in between each.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven & bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden. Once the biscuits are baked, remove from the oven.
- Carefully transfer the biscuits onto a cooling rack. It will be tender & soft, but once cooled it will retain it’s shape & become crunchy.
- After a few minutes you can devour these Nuttikrust Copycat Biscuits.
- Store them in an airtight container.
- Serve these Nuttikrust Copycat Biscuits with a hot drink such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, Turkish coffee, etc.