TUNA FISH CAKES
This Recipe Makes ± 16 Fish Cakes
The kids will also enjoy this treat, it tastes even better when dunked into some dipping sauce. These fish cakes are fairly simple to prepare & they taste super delicious.
A fish cake (also written as one word – fishcake) is similar to that of a croquette.
This recipe may be adjusted to your preference, I am Indian so obviously I devour all things spicy, therefore this recipe caters for a little heat with the amount of chillies used. If you prefer your fish cakes mild then I suggest adding less chillies or none at all.
Tuna Fish Cakes Ingredients:
- 1 onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large potato
- 2 cans tuna (119 grams each)
- ½ bunch dhania (coriander)
- ¼ bunch mint
- 1 teaspoon thyme (without stems)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- handful of chopped shallots (spring onions)
- 4-5 green chillies
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Peel & chop onions. Set aside.
- Rinse & finely chop the green chillies.
- Roughly chop the dhania (coriander).
- Chop the shallots (spring onions).
- Boil the potato in a pot of water until soft or simply place the peeled potato into the microwave & heat until soft & cooked throughout. Once soft, mash the potato & set aside.
- Open the cans of tuna & drain the excess water or oil out. Empty the tuna into a medium sized bowl.
- Thereafter, add in the thyme, chillies, onions, dhania (coriander), shallots (spring onions), also chop some mint & add to the bowl of tuna.
- Next, add salt, garlic powder & lemon juice.
- Then add in the mashed potato.
- Combine well using your hands.
- Next get out two separate bowls. Crack open the eggs & place the egg whites in one bowl & the egg yolks in the other bowl.
- Pour the egg yolks into the bowl of tuna.
- Mix well.
- Take a little of the tuna mixture into the palm of your hands. Mold into a fat disc.
- Continue this process until all the tuna is finished. Place the discs on a plate.
- Dip the discs one at a time into the egg whites.
- Thereafter dunk it into the bowl of breadcrumbs.
- Continue the same process for all & set aside on a plate.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a small deep pot. When the oil is sizzling, carefully drop in the crumbed fish cakes & deep fry until golden.
- When the Tuna Fish Cakes are golden, remove from the oil.
- Place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or spring onions (optional).
- Reheat them in the microwave.