TUNA FISH CAKES
This Recipe Makes ± 12 Fish Cakes
The kids will also enjoy this treat, it tastes even better when dunked into some dipping sauce. These fish cakes are fairly simple to prepare & they taste super delicious.
A fish cake (also written as one word – fishcake) is similar to that of a croquette.
This recipe may be adjusted to your preference, I am Indian so obviously I devour all things spicy, therefore this recipe caters for a little heat with the amount of chilies used. If you prefer your fish cakes mild then I suggest adding less chilies or none at all.
Tuna Fish Cakes Ingredients:
- 1 onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large potato
- 2 cans tuna (119 grams each)
- ½ bunch dhania (coriander)
- ¼ bunch mint
- 1 teaspoon thyme (without stems)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- handful of chopped shallots (spring onions)
- 4-5 green chilies
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Peel & chop onions. Set aside.
- Rinse & finely chop the green chilies.
- Roughly chop the mint.
- Roughly chop the coriander (dhania).
- Chop the shallots (spring onions).
- Get the thyme off their stems & set aside.
- Boil the potato in a pot of water until soft or simply place the peeled potato into the microwave & heat until soft & cooked throughout. Once soft, mash the potato & set aside.
- Separate the egg whites & egg yolks into two separate bowls.
- Open the cans of tuna & drain out the excess water or oil out. Empty the tuna into a medium sized bowl.
- Thereafter, add in the onions.
- Next, add in the thyme & green chilies.
- Add the coriander (dhania), mint, salt, garlic powder & lemon juice.
- Then add in the mashed potato.
- Add in the egg yolks.
- Combine well using your hands.
- Take a little of the tuna mixture into the palm of your hands.
- Mold into a fat disc.
- Continue this process until all the tuna mixture is used. Place the molded discs onto a plate.
- Take a molded disc one at a time.
- Dunk it into the egg whites.
- Thereafter, toss it into the bowl of breadcrumbs.
- Continue the same process for all & set aside onto a plate.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- When the oil is sizzling, carefully place in the crumbed fish cakes.
- Fry until both sides are golden.
- When the Tuna Fish Cakes are golden, remove from the oil & place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander or spring onions (optional).
- Serve hot with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- Reheat them in the microwave.