CHICKEN & MUSHROOM SAVOURY CRÊPES
This Recipe Makes ± 10 Crêpes
These Chicken & Mushroom Savoury Crêpes are so divine, it makes an awesome lunch or dinner meal. If you love the crêpes then this savoury version will have you hooked.
Savoury crêpes are also known as savoury galettes or crêpes salées.
Chicken & Mushroom Savoury Crêpes Ingredients:
For the crêpes:
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil + extra for cooking
For the chicken & mushroom filling:
- 4 chicken fillets
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Fresh coriander for garnishing (optional)
For the Béchamel sauce (White Sauce):
- 100 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk or fresh cream
- In a medium sized bowl/dish, crack in the eggs.
- Lightly beat the eggs using a whisk or a fork.
- Add in the flour.
- Next, pour in the oil.
- Thereafter, pour in the milk.
- Mix well & you should have a smooth batter without any lumps.
- The consistency shouldn’t be too thick or too runny. If its too thick, add more milk. If its too weak, add more flour.
- Empty into a small jug or something that will easily allow you to pour out later on. Now place the jug into the refrigerator for 1 hour or more. This is the key step to getting the perfect crêpes.
- In the mean time, get started with the Chicken & Mushroom filling.
- Rinse the chicken fillets.
- Chop the chicken into cubes & place in a bowl.
- Season the chicken with salt, ground black pepper & garlic powder. Rub into the chicken.
- Rinse & chop or slice mushrooms.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a medium sized pot. When oil is hot enough drop in the seasoned chicken.
- Stir & cook the chicken for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add in the mushrooms.
- Mix & cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, set aside.
- Next begin preparing the Béchamel sauce (White Sauce).
- In a small pot, add in the butter.
- Allow the butter to melt on medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour.
- Stir in the flour continuously so that it doesn’t burn.
- Cook the flour until a thick paste forms.
- Now begin adding a little milk at a time & stir as you go along.
- It should end up being a creamy sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the pot of cooked chicken & mushroom.
- Gently stir.
- Season with salt as per taste & set aside.
- Now back to the batter that was refrigerated. Stir & get ready to make some crêpes.
- Using a paper towel, grease a small non stick pan with vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, pour a little batter in the center of the pan & roll your wrists rotating the pan so that the batter forms a lace like sheet.
- Keep the stove on medium heat & allow crêpe to cook for about a minute.
- Using a spatula, gently flip the crêpe over after a minute & cook the other side for about 20-25 seconds.
- Remove the crêpe from the pan & place in foil to keep them warm. Repeat this process until all the batter is used.
- Repeat the process until all of the batter is used.
- The next step is to fill the crêpes.
- Place the crêpe flat onto a plate & spoon some of the Chicken & Mushroom filling in the middle.
- Next, simply roll each side of the crêpe over.
- Do this to the others.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve this Chicken & Mushroom Savoury Crêpes whilst warm.