WHITE BREAD LOAF
This Recipe Makes 1 Loaf
White Bread Loaf are a staple in most countries. Most people prefer white bread as compared to brown or whole wheat. This recipe is fairly simple & tastes delicious. It also does not contain any eggs.
White Bread Loaf Ingredients:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 10 grams instant yeast
- 150 ml lukewarm milk
- 80 ml lukewarm water
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- 50 grams butter
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl.
- Thereafter, add in the butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips. It should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add in the yeast, salt & the sugar. I have used instant yeast, so no need to bloom it first.
- Mix well.
- Pour in the lukewarm milk & lukewarm water.
- Mix with a spoon & then with your hands until it forms a dough.
- Place dough onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 10 minutes. The longer it is kneaded, the softer it will be.
- Lightly oil a bowl & pat excess oil onto the dough so it does not dry up. Place the dough into the bowl.
- Cover with cling/plastic wrap & leave in a dark place to rest for 1 hour or more. I usually pop it in a turned off oven or microwave.
- After an hour, the dough should double in size.
- Punch down dough.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical form & pop it into a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Cover with a dish towel & allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- After 30 minutes of resting the dough, it should be nice & puffy, taking the form of the loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Turn out the White Bread Loaf from the loaf pan.
- Brush over melted butter or water on the loaf & cover for a few minutes with a dish towel for a softer crust.
Slice & enjoy as is.
- Or enjoy with a slather of butter.
- This White Bread Loaf may also be cut into halves – perfect for making bunny chows.
- For the bunny chow, simply take one half of the loaf & use a knife to cut out a square shape in the fluffy white part of the bread. Thereafter, use your fingers to scoop & pull out that piece of bread. Fill with a curry of your choice. I chose to fill it with Sugar Beans (Pinto Beans) Curry.
- This White Bread Loaf can alternatively be halved into two loaf pans to create two thinner loaves. After resting the dough, simply divide it into two portions.
- Place them into two lightly greased loaf pans, cover & allow to proof for 30 minutes as done above with just the one loaf.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Turn them over & enjoy as preferred.
- These thinner loaves may also be used for bunny chows by cutting of the tops rather than in halves.
- Fill with a curry of your choice – I filled mine with Mutton/Lamb Curry.