CHICKEN NECKS WITH POTATOES AND PEAS CURRY
This Indian Recipe Serves 2-3
Chicken Necks With Potatoes And Peas Curry is a dish that you are sure to find in most Indian homes within South Africa.
It is delicious & fairly simple to prepare. If you’re a lover of chicken then this curry will tantalize your taste buds.
Chicken Necks With Potatoes And Peas Curry Ingredients:
- 400 grams of chicken necks
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon jeera seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon dhania powder
- 3 tablespoons Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 jam/rosa tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 star aniseed
- 2 teaspoons ginger & garlic paste
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- fresh dhania (coriander) for garnishing
- handful of frozen peas
- Clean & rinse the chicken necks & place in a bowl.
- Peel & chop onion & set aside.
- Dice the tomatoes & set aside.
- In a large pot, add in the oil.
- When the oil is slightly hot, drop in the onions.
- Allow the onions to simmer until translucent & then add in the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, curry leaves, jeera seeds & star aniseed.
- Simmer for a minute & then add in your spices (garam masala, turmeric powder, jeera powder, chilli powder, curry powder, dhania powder) followed by the ginger & garlic paste.
- Add water if necessary – I always used boiled water when cooking.
- Allow the spices to simmer for 2-3 minutes, adding a little water if it tends to stick to the surface. Do not allow the spices to burn.
- Thereafter, drop in the diced tomatoes.
- Mix well, cover with a lid & allow the tomatoes to cook for about 10 minutes until their soft & form a gravy.
- Add water if necessary.
- When the tomatoes have cooked throughout, add in the chicken necks.
- Mix well & add a bit water if needed. Cover & allow to cook making sure to check on it every now again so it does not burn.
- In the mean time, peel & cut your potatoes in quarters or smaller.
- Rinse potatoes & set in a bowl of water until ready to use.
- After about 20 minutes, the chicken necks should be almost cooked, add in the potatoes (discard the water that it had been laying in) & peas.
- Mix well & allow for the potatoes to cook. Try & cover them with the gravy so that they cook faster.
- Add salt to taste.
- When potatoes are cooked, the curry should have some gravy but not be too watery.
- Garnish with fresh dhania (coriander).
- Serve this Chicken Necks With Potatoes And Peas Curry with rice, pap, bread, puff pastry roti or plain roti & a side of salad or pickles.